Rubber gear lever gaiter.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Rubber gear lever gaiter.

Post by Brooksy »

Hi, I've just joined having purchased a 1987 2.0 laser last week and am busy reacquainting myself with the marque. Can anyone advise if there should be a rubber gaiter that covers the hole where the gear lever goes through the transmission tunnel? The grey interior centre consol gaiter is in place but I thought there should be an additional rubber gaiter that sits under it and acts as a sound insulator/weather proof cover? Cheers.
Nige Image
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Rubber gear lever gaiter.

Post by Peter-S »

Brooksy wrote:Hi, I've just joined having purchased a 1987 2.0 laser last week and am busy reacquainting myself with the marque. Can anyone advise if there should be a rubber gaiter that covers the hole where the gear lever goes through the transmission tunnel? The grey interior centre consol gaiter is in place but I thought there should be an additional rubber gaiter that sits under it and acts as a sound insulator/weather proof cover? Cheers.

pretty sure the answer is 'no'! There should be a piece of foam around the top of the gearbox that keeps road crap out but, particularly if the box has been out, the foam will rot out and crumble. I fitted a cut down Sierra rubber gaitor under thre grey gaitor in my 2.8 for this reason.
Welcome to the forum btw :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Cheers and thanks for your reply Peter; I think I'll adapt another to fit like you've done.
Great profile pic of a Lanc btw!
Nige Image
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

The handbrake has a secondary rubber gaiter underneath the grey vinyl one.......maybe you're getting it confused?
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Thanks and yep I could well have got it confused. When time allows, I'll remove the centre consol and have a look. It's just that I'm getting road noise coming up from what appears to be the gear lever area, when driving.
Nige Image