Steering 'tight'

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
simon.rob12345
Car(s): 1986 mk3 2.8 injection special
1980 mk3 3.0S

Steering 'tight'

Post by simon.rob12345 »

so recently changed power steering rack and knuckle, adjusted tracking and moved steering wheel to get it in the middle. when re-tightening steering wheel onto column at the same torque value as prev it is now tight.

This means when cornering the steering locks in that position which is very dangerous..

I have noticed a bearing in the top of the column near the steering wheel and it has a lot of play in it, can this be replaced ? suspect this may be binding

or can anyone suggest other reasons it may be going tight ?

thanks a lot

si

:drive:
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Re: Steering 'tight'

Post by caprikid61 »

Not sure if its got anything to do with your lroblem but I noticed when I had my steeri g wheel off there is a little hole st the back of the steering wheel that needs to be lined up with the part that works the indicator return . I guess if you put the wheel back on without the part going in the hole it might cause problems . Worth checking
simon.rob12345
Car(s): 1986 mk3 2.8 injection special
1980 mk3 3.0S

Post by simon.rob12345 »

initially thought it might be that however mines been snapped off a while! so other than needing a new plastic bit its not that :doh:
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

U/J in the steering coupling is prime candidate. Was it a 2nd hand or new?
Also it must be fitted with the flat correctly aligned (twist & depth)for the pinch-bolt.

The top bearings are often a bit slappy, having some numpty grease-gorilla wedge an expanding ratchet clamp between it & the seat for steering adjustment doesn't help. That should only give problems if the bearing have dropped to bit, I've never heard of it happening on a Capri.