Blue plastic lenses in dashboard pod removal

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Blue plastic lenses in dashboard pod removal

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:So where the bulbs go I was going to try putting the bulbs inside the glass pipe . Then they will stop the clock from getting to hot
Right, I see what you are aiming to do now, in effect you are replacing the blue plastic covers with the glass tubes. It sounds like the idea might work, as long as the glass tube doesn't get too hot. Obviously you'll have to fix the glass to the clock casing, not to the bulb itself, as the tube will make the bulb too big to go through the hole.
If that idea doesn't work it would be great to try to do something with this:

https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led-st ... rEEALw_wcB&

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I have used these type of lights for xmas around the fire place and bits but found they seem to pack up really quick , but that was a few sets from the Far East .

Yes if it works and don’t get hot it’s a quick fix I hope .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Just a thought as regards to dash lighting, but can't we just remove the blue diffuser covers and use blue tinted bulbs of standard size instead?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes we can but it’s not the same also the dimmer switch did not work for me , I was just having a mess around with something what would give the same affect but make it a cleaner green light all over and if you want a bit brighter .
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

When I went to change my dash bulbs for LEDs last year the first size i tried fitted in the bulb bases but seemed too physically wide to actually go into the dash. I then went for some smaller ones which proved ok for the MOT but aren't really bright enough.
Ive since looked at the first set i bought and realised its an easy job to narrow them down by shaving off their wide plastic collars with a Dremel. they are now no wider than a standard bulb so should do the job nicely so when time allows I'll swap them over.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Not_Anumber wrote:When I went to change my dash bulbs for LEDs last year the first size i tried fitted in the bulb bases but seemed too physically wide to actually go into the dash. I then went for some smaller ones which proved ok for the MOT but aren't really bright enough.
Ive since looked at the first set i bought and realised its an easy job to narrow them down by shaving off their wide plastic collars with a Dremel. they are now no wider than a standard bulb so should do the job nicely so when time allows I'll swap them over.
Dremel for the life in me early I could not think of the name I must use it at least once a week as well .
But yes I found that did you go for the 3w or 5w ? It’s just worries me them 5w really get Hot . I should take a reading as I just been looking again at a spare clock I had . I think we have all been playing with the lights just to get that bit brighter . I have at the moment Red Bulbs in mine what is brighter and does work but should be green in my eyes . Saying that I don’t drive mine at night :doh:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Ive since looked at the first set i bought and realised its an easy job to narrow them down by shaving off their wide plastic collars with a Dremel. they are now no wider than a standard bulb so should do the job nicely so when time allows I'll swap them over.
The LEDs you mean? That's all I had to do with mine to make them fit.
I saw these where the collars look a little smaller, they might fit straight in:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2PCS-T10 ... SwNRdX67L-

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew they may work you know ?
pbar

Post by pbar »

pbar wrote:Just a thought as regards to dash lighting, but can't we just remove the blue diffuser covers and use blue tinted bulbs of standard size instead?
Jasonmarie wrote:Yes we can but it’s not the same also the dimmer switch did not work for me , I was just having a mess around with something what would give the same affect but make it a cleaner green light all over and if you want a bit brighter .
Thanks Jason. But surely the dummer should still work with tinted standard bulbs?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The last time I searched for them, admittedly a few years ago now, 3W wedge bulbs were not available in green. However, there is now a listing on Ebay for them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T10-W5W-501- ... SwevdaEXtj

That should enable people to remove the diffusers and have green illumination that won't get too hot.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes your right I only found the red ones what I do have in mine .

I going to order some ..... looks like we sorted that out quick .

Ref dimmer I did try and the dimmer would not work Paul but that was some time ago .

Quick update orders for a £1 can’t go wrong . Cheers Andrew :cool:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Ref dimmer I did try and the dimmer would not work Paul but that was some time ago .
Is it actually wired up? Some people have been known to bypass it.

Andrew.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

Update on my new 5w bulbs , they are quite a bit brighter than the 3w bulbs that I removed so just going to leve them for now . At least I can see the gauges now but will try led s at a later stage .
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

The Dremel made light work of the collars on the larger LEDs (see what i did there) they now fit fine and are working.
Unlike the last set of smaller LEDs which were green these are white light LEDs so it will be interesting to see the difference when I reassemble the dash and get a chance to drive it after dark.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes your right I only found the red ones what I do have in mine .

I going to order some ..... looks like we sorted that out quick .

Ref dimmer I did try and the dimmer would not work Paul but that was some time ago .

Quick update orders for a £1 can’t go wrong . Cheers Andrew :cool:
Yes that's just the dash lighting 'solution' I mentioned. Bulb covers off, and tinted (blue would have kept the original colour?) standard 501 3W bulbs.

Dimmer should still work as normal, it is nice to still have as much working as possible, in my opinion.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So at long last the boat landed from China and I have the 3w bulbs I will have to make this a winter job and try and do a with the old bulbs and with the new . Still waiting on my glass clock tubes from China . Just hope it never come over on the titanic ? :lol:

Will update early 2019 ....... or only 63 days to go and it’s xmas .

Off note I think the world wants a ticking clock for the mantle piece it’s crazy demand is higher then supply . :banghead:

Pictures of 3w bulb .
pbar

Post by pbar »

I was wondering how you were getting on with this Jason. I think it would be the only option I would opt for, those blue covers won't less forever, so simply removing them, having standard wattage tinted bulbs, and a still working dimmer tick all the boxes for me.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

pbar wrote:I was wondering how you were getting on with this Jason. I think it would be the only option I would opt for, those blue covers won't less forever, so simply removing them, having standard wattage tinted bulbs, and a still working dimmer tick all the boxes for me.
Yes will give it a go and leave for a least a good few hours to see what they heat up to .
Got a load of clocks on test and 2 pocket watches that are not playing the game . Waiting for two screws on another so I am stuck at the moment . Need A bigger work space ......
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes will give it a go and leave for a least a good few hours to see what they heat up to .
Those 3W bulbs shouldn't be too hot as that's the same power bulbs as originally fitted.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes I agree they should be fine but before they go in mine I am going to double check . Them little eastern promise lot can be a little on the really good or OMG who or what did they use to make that .
I noticed with springs for clocks were snapping easy a few years ago and now that clock shop that I use have USA ones what are made to last like the old days .