Some dashboard lights not working

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Alex123
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser - Daily Driver

Some dashboard lights not working

Post by Alex123 »

Hi all,

I've just got my car back from an electrician place to fix what turned out to be a dodgy fuse box. After he put it back together the dash lights have stopped working except the clock illumination and the green indicator light (they worked before). So now I don't have an ignition light, handbrake/brake fluid light or high beam light.

I just had the clocks out myself and it looks like power is going to the plug that goes onto the printed circuit board just fine. The tracks on the circuit board look intact so I was wondering if maybe the culprit is that voltage regulator or the capacitor that sits next to it? I'm unsure though because the temp/voltage guages still work (still need to investigate the fuel gauge; it's been iffy for a while).

Anyone else had a similar problem and could the voltage regulator even cause this?

It's a Mk3 Capri laser 2l

Thanks for any help!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Some dashboard lights not working

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Alex123 wrote:could the voltage regulator even cause this?
No. The regulator only regulates the voltage that feeds the temp sender and fuel sender.
If you've had work done on the fuse box, that might be a good place to start looking for a solution.
Have a look at the diagrams on these pages and compare with the wiring on your fusebox:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ccscotl ... xvd1o-cE5s
You could also check that the bulbs in the non-working warning lamps are OK.

Andrew.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Thanks Andy, that's a really great writeup.. way nicer than trying to interpret the haynes wiring diagrams!
It says the ignition/brake lamps are on the same circuit as the temp gauge and since that still works..

Maybe it is the bulbs, he did say he changed them so they should be fine, but stupidly I didn't check them while I had it out.
Hopefully it's that simple.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Alex123 wrote: Maybe it is the bulbs, he did say he changed them so they should be fine, but stupidly I didn't check them while I had it out.
Hopefully it's that simple.
What sort of bulbs are in there? If modern led type things have been used I have come across some that need earth and live the correct way round otherwise they won't work.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

If your car has been to an auto electrician to have a repair done, and when you get it back there are electrical faults like this....why haven't you taken it back to the auto electrician to sort out the faults he has created?
Bod9084
Car(s): I have got a 1981 3000s and I have just got my self
A 1987 2.8i thay are both red
I had my first capri when I was 17" it was a 3000GTXLR
I have had a lot of fast fords vans all ways put bigger engine in
I also have had motor bikes I have a 1200 Suzuki bandit

Post by Bod9084 »

Just check the dimmer on the dash by the radio he mite have not put the wire on
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Bod9084 wrote:Just check the dimmer on the dash by the radio he mite have not put the wire on
That won't be the issue as the OP states that it's the warning lights that are not working, not the illumination.

Andrew.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Got it done! Turns out just a slightly dodgy connection between the bulb holders and the clocks.
I would have asked the guy I gave it to to fix it but I needed the car unfortunately. I'm almost glad I didn't because I wasn't that impressed with how he put the dash back together and I was able to take the time to do it neatly.

Thanks for all your help.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Alex123 wrote:I wasn't that impressed with how he put the dash back together and I was able to take the time to do it neatly.
No one takes the same level of care with your car as you do yourself, it's always been the case I have found. Glad you're sorted! :)