Brake Fluid

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Brake Fluid

Post by pbar »

About to renew the brake fluid, and just wondering are all brands pretty much the same? I've only ever bought generic ones, and I've noticed that on Carparts4less you can buy 500ml bottles of Dot 4 for just £2.43, the brand is Pagid whoever they are. But I assume it's as good as any other?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Brake Fluid

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:About to renew the brake fluid, and just wondering are all brands pretty much the same? I've only ever bought generic ones, and I've noticed that on Carparts4less you can buy 500ml bottles of Dot 4 for just £2.43, the brand is Pagid whoever they are. But I assume it's as good as any other?
Not used it Paul, but it's got good reviews https://www.ebay.co.uk/urw/Pagid-Dot-4- ... 2132765947
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy, I never thought of looking at ebay reviews.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Thanks Andy, I never thought of looking at ebay reviews.
I usually google the item and look at the results then decide if I want to use it.

As with most things you get conflicting views, but I think a lot of these lesser known items are now just as good as well known.....
My mate works at a Motor Factor and he gets oils that are specific to the company and they seem fine :)

As with modern tyres, there are many good ones now without the high price brands we used to buy.
pbar

Post by pbar »

That's a good point Andy, about over priced Branding. Is the £3 bottle of brake fluid just the same as a £10 fancy one. Probably!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:That's a good point Andy, about over priced Branding. Is the £3 bottle of brake fluid just the same as a £10 fancy one. Probably!
Put it this way Paul, Tescos own brands haven't killed me yet :cheers: :D
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote:About to renew the brake fluid, and just wondering are all brands pretty much the same? I've only ever bought generic ones, and I've noticed that on Carparts4less you can buy 500ml bottles of Dot 4 for just £2.43, the brand is Pagid whoever they are. But I assume it's as good as any other?
Pagid is a quality brand and their brake components in general are O/E on many Volkswagen group cars. All brands of DOT 4 brake fluid have to be miscible (mixable) by law.

I must admit I use Comma fluid purely because it's the one my local Motor Factors mainly stock. My late mum's old 1995 Polo has had the fluid changed annually using Comma or Lockheed Girling fluid and has never even had a wheel cylinder replaced.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the replies guys. I never considered the mixability of different brands, that's a good point and good to know!

I've ordered it now, good old Carparts4less, can't believe their prices at times.