It's pissed the oil everywhere

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

It's pissed the oil everywhere

Post by D366Y »

I was hoping to put up a nice little post today about how well the GL handled the 450 road trip from Friday to Sunday night, but alas, as I went to the car this morning to get something out, I couldn't help but notice that it now appears to have elected that the best course of action is to just dump any engine oil.

Large puddle all over the driveway (the landlords/parents will be well chuffed) and a very oily cam belt, follower and engine bay.

Turned the engine on to establish quite what the hell was going on, appears to be leaking from the bottom seal, and also straight out the front next to the tensioner/follower for the cambelt.

My question is does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong/where I need to start?

F**king bank holidays!! :banghead:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: It's pissed the oil everywhere

Post by Peter-S »

Sorry to hear that Danny. Sounds like the flexi seal that sits in the oil pan isn't sealing anymore. I find them a bit of a pain. Check the bolts on the pan are tight as you might be able to slow the leak if they've worked loose but don't over do it. Unfortunately when oil gets past that seal and gets on to the pulley and cam belt it can be spread all around the engine :( Probably it really needs a new seal.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

First thing Danny is to degrease and clean the whole area around where the leak seems to be coming from then after it's dried run the car and see if you can physically see where the leak is dripping out from. It will probably be from either the camshaft sprocket oilseal, jackshaft or the main crank oil seal.

To change them will involve removing the sprockets, levering out the old seals and tapping gently in the new ones. It's a bit of a job but not too expensive - I renewed all of these when I did the belt on mine, and I think the seals were about £4 each. All 3 are the same size seal.

While you are working on it pull out the crankcase PCV ventilator valve and clean it and make sure it is not sticking causing excess crankcase pressure and also make sure your rocker cover is properly tightened down.

You must fit a new cambelt too but the tensioner could be cleaned up.

Edit: Just seen Peter's post and that could well be a possibility too.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sorry to here that Dan yes get the oil of the cam belt and case , for any comfort when we got our new Mercedes bus it did that after a few hundred miles and also shot a water pump at the same time so it happens on new cars as well .
Hope you get the seal sorted mate .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Thanks for the help guys, payday yesterday so have ordered a new oil filter, top end gasket seal kits and bottom end gasket seal kits, new cam belt, and new thermostat housing from CCI all for £80

Hopefully this will be a nice little mini-rebuild almost and can clear up all the issues.

Figured I might as well get a new thermostat housing as the current one is 37years old and currently caked in so much oil it's crazy. The gasket looks like its brown-bread as well - the state of the actual thermostat housing is typically oxidised and I know it will break when I try to get it off :lol:

Hopefully getting the car up on the ramps tomorrow (luckily someone I helped out a few years ago at work owns a garage and a capri so lets me use all his gear for nothing!!) and can start stripping down the engine and replacing the gaskets and seals throughout to stop this ruddy leak!
So much oil on my drive now that I'm worried the US will spot it and plan an invasion so will be glad when it's over!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.