Dusty Hare

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Dusty Hare

Post by pbar »

Just wondering what you guys do when the car gets dusty. You know, just general dust when sat in the garage, not really dirty enough for a proper wash. Was thinking of just wiping over with a water soaked/damp cloth then drying. Strange question I know, but I usually just leave it til it gets that bad it needs a proper wash! Don't tell me you get the feather dusters out :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Dusty Hare

Post by andyd »

Hi Paul,
As I cover the car when garaged it's not an issue, but a good microfibre cloth would be fine and a detail spray may also help but not neccesary...
Although most sprays contain Carnuba Wax, so it's a good way to add protection :cheers:

Dusty Hill :wave:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:Hi Paul,
As I cover the car when garaged it's not an issue, but a good microfibre cloth would be fine and a detail spray may also help but not neccesary...
Although most sprays contain Carnuba Wax, so it's a good way to add protection :cheers:

Dusty Hill, great!

Just use the microfibre cloth dry you mean Andy? Did think of just soaking one and wiping over, then again with a dry one. Always worry about adding micro scratches when doing anything but a proper wash.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:Hi Paul,

Dusty Hill, great!

Just use the microfibre cloth dry you mean Andy? Did think of just soaking one and wiping over, then again with a dry one. Always worry about adding micro scratches when doing anything but a proper wash.
Sorry yes dry cloth. I do this when I've used the car but not got any dead insects etc on it.

In theory the microfibre should pick up the dust to help prevent scratches etc, but not 100% sure you can prevent anything from causing minor flaws :?
A spray may help pick up the dust, but on my car you don't really see the scratches as it's white, although they are there from previous washes etc. Machine polishing will get most of them out but I tend not to think too much about it :)

I use 400 gsm cloths.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy, great that. I don't worry too much either, could never be an obsessed detailer (but respect to those that are like that, those cars look incredible), I'd much rather jump in and drive off :) As long as it's reasonable that's good enough for me.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Thanks Andy, great that. I don't worry too much either, could never be an obsessed detailer (but respect to those that are like that, those cars look incredible), I'd much rather jump in and drive off :) As long as it's reasonable that's good enough for me.
:agree: As long as it looks presentable I'm happy :D

My Son is a valeter/detailer and he loves doing it, but that's getting a bit close to concours for me :shock:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I use one of these for general de - dusting of cars. Bloody good around the house too, I've got an oak staircase with galleried landing and it cleans in between all the spindles beautifully.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Nen ... Sw4aZbGlqO
andyd

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:I use one of these for general de - dusting of cars. Bloody good around the house too, I've got an oak staircase with galleried landing and it cleans in between all the spindles beautifully.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Nen ... Sw4aZbGlqO
I've seen those they look good.
pbar

Post by pbar »

That looks a good idea. And also for the stair spindles, they are a pain!