Headlight / Headlamp relay quesions

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
damajin
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Smax (Daily Drive),
Ford Capri mk3 4.1 V8 (Project),
Ford Puma (track car)
VW Golf (the wife's car)

Headlight / Headlamp relay quesions

Post by damajin »

Hi all,

Got a few questions about this relay / fuse box thing...

1. I think mine is knackered. So I'm getting my Capri back together (very slowly) and put the headlights back in yesterday. Connected the battery etc. and went to test everything out and found the dip beam is only working on one side. Get the powerprobe out (Xmas gift from the inlaws - happy days) and find it's not getting power, push the button to give it +12V and the lamp comes on and stays on. Turn them off and back on, all working fine. Leave it a few mins checking other things etc. When I try it again, same as before only 1 side working. Switched the connector on the headlamp relay and sure enough the working headlight has switched to the other side which makes me think it has to be the relay right?

2. Assuming my diagnosis above is correct and that my relay unit is dead (or at least dying), does anyone have a working unit for sale - mainly looking at Martin CapriGear here ;)

3. With these units not being available new, there must be a limited supply of working items still around (most fitted to vehicles). What are the options for when they run out? Is it just a case of building a replacement using regular relays and fuses then splicing this into the loom? Looking at the prices that the second hand units are going for on ebay, I reckon I could build one for a lot less, I just need to work out a wiring diagram for the internals of the current one.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Headlight / Headlamp relay quesions

Post by Caprigear »

I'm not back in the workshop until Monday. I do have some of these as I have been taking them off the cars that I've broken over the years. The problem now is that I am hardly getting any cars at all in for breaking due to the stupidly high prices that owners are wanting for rotted out relics.

The availability of decent parts on these wrecks makes them totally not viable at the price so the upshot is I don't get the parts to keep my stock levels up and Capri owners around the world are not able to get parts. I do have large stocks of many parts but a lot are becoming very difficult to supply.
damajin
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Smax (Daily Drive),
Ford Capri mk3 4.1 V8 (Project),
Ford Puma (track car)
VW Golf (the wife's car)

Re: Headlight / Headlamp relay quesions

Post by damajin »

Thanks Martin, I figured that would be the case.

Pls can you on me with a price for one of the working items. Not urgent as I still need to get the engine running and finish some other wiring bits.