2.8 Fan belt

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

2.8 Fan belt

Post by Peter-S »

I've been meaning to change the fan belts on the 2.8 for a while. I found a couple of new belts that came with the car a few years back. They will fit but the alternator will not line up. The belts are marked up as 975mm. One of the belts on the car is marked as 1000mm which is what the circumference measures. Looking on ebay most sellers of 2.8 belts are selling 975mm items although a couple are the slightly bigger item. Just wondered what other owners have fitted. I had the same problem with the 2.0 a year or so ago that listed items were too small, seems a bit odd!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8 Fan belt

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
If it's any help, the Gates belts supplied by Tickover are 975mm. I haven't tried to fit one yet though.....

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

The one I fitted was from CCI, fitted with no problems but don't recall what size it was & it doesn't say on their website.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Fairly sure mine are the smaller size. They are a bit hard to get over the pulley but once in the vee are okay. Maybe the larger size fits easier, but you are at the other end of the adjustment and stand a chance of running out of tension when the belts wear or stretch a bit.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Cheers guys.
Had another look tonight, think the bottom adjuster was dragging so I'm hoping it's OK but was getting dark so left it before I lost a nut or bolt somewhere!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr