Speedo bouncing

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Simmo1337
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 laser '86 (daily driver)

Speedo bouncing

Post by Simmo1337 »

Hi all,

Thanks to caprigear on the forums here (whom I purchased a headlight from) my Capri is back on the road! It's been about a year since she's been on the tarmac, and I knew I had a dodgy Speedo before, so I bought another 6 dial dash of eBay for £15, and replaced my Speedo with the claimed working Speedo from this newly acquired dash.

However, it bounces around a lot under 60mph, swinging between 10-15 mph of the actual value. Does anybody know what the issue here could be? I have a basic understanding of how these Speedos work, and I'd be happy to whip the old one apart to do any repairs if possible?

Any help would be great!

Simmo
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Speedo bouncing

Post by Caprifan Rob »

I know it's a simple answer but I had this issue when I refitted my clocks. Turns out the cable wasn't fully clicked home in the back of the speedo, try that first. :goodluck:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Check the cable connection on the gearbox as well, it should be held in place by a circlip which can go missing making the connection loose.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

I'd take the cable off and grease it inside, when they get dry the inner catches and snags on the outer then releases that will bounce the speedo needle around
Simmo1337

Post by Simmo1337 »

Thanks everyone for the comments, it makes a lot of sense that it needs to be greased up.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to do it tomorrow, does anyone know if I can take the inner out from the gearbox end, or will I need the dash out again? :axe:
Bod9084
Car(s): I have got a 1981 3000s and I have just got my self
A 1987 2.8i thay are both red
I had my first capri when I was 17" it was a 3000GTXLR
I have had a lot of fast fords vans all ways put bigger engine in
I also have had motor bikes I have a 1200 Suzuki bandit

Post by Bod9084 »

I word check that the cable as not melted on the front down pipe
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

If you do grease the cable then I would recommend you use a very light grease to lubricate the cable and don't grease the top 12" ( 30cm) as there is a chance that it could work its way up the cable and get into the speedo head, which is not a good idea.
Simmo1337

Post by Simmo1337 »

Thanks for all the help guys, just to update, I took the Speedo cable off the gear box today (circlip was there) then I was able to reach up behind the dash and remove the plastic retaining clip for the Speedo cable and pull it out.

Once it was in a more accessable position, I could pull the inner out (it can only come out from the dash end, not the gearbox end), greased it up, and slid it back in!

She's now as good as gold, a not a bounce in sight!

So, to clarify, the symptoms we're at low speed (<40/50MPH) it would bounce all over the place, even from 0-150mph. I took the inner out, as per above, and it wasn't frayed or even looking too rusty. However, greasing it still fixed the issue.

Thanks all!

Simmo
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Glad you are sorted, and thank you for posting the fix :)
Titan grau
Car(s): 2.8i Special Mercury Grey over Stratos Silver

Post by Titan grau »

Glad I spotted this post as I have the same thing. I read once before it could be inner cable snagging but ths was better as it concluded the fix works. Thanks