Front spring not located 10mm out.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Front spring not located 10mm out.

Post by tazla »

Eyup.ive had a clunk from front leg and .nows the time to sort it.the front spring is located at the bottom but its 10mm out at the top cup.i really dont want to take the whole lot off .so i thought .take wheel off,compress the spring with spring compressors.loosen top nut a touch.move spring round 10mm.tighten back up.
Can this be done.anyone done it.or stop being daft and take the lot off.thanks mel
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Front spring not located 10mm out.

Post by Paul G »

You should be able to tweak it round like that Mel but be bloody careful. It might be difficult to get a pair of compressors up in there with the strut in place, depends what sort you have.

When you put the springs back on originally did you put the rubber tubing back on the lower end of the spring? That may cause clanging and clunking if that's missing.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

My MOT tester did something similar once, when he discovered the spring wasn't sitting in the cup properly at the top. With the limited space in there he used a selection of vice grips to take the tension off the spring at various points, then manipulated the spring into place (didn't loosen any bolts), took the grips off and that was it, sorted.
tazla

Post by tazla »

The top sleeve is on.not sure if the bottom ones on .cant remember .il have a look when i set off to work.ive booked the car in for tracking friday morning so ive got to sort it either way.i cant believe ive done it to be truthful.im changing tca,s on the steering rack as theyve gone a rusty colour.the new ones rust after a few months.they must mist coat em or dont even coat them as theyre cast i think.ive bought a new set and prepped and painted them.anal or what ha
tazla

Post by tazla »

Done !
Both sleeves were on.when i refurbed the struts,springs .i took them to a garage as they had spring clamps.when i took em back for them to put springs back on they havent done them right.shouldve checked but heyho.got my own now.
They just about clamped on.with a load of spacers behind them.tightened em on and a load of yanking and heypresto.cheers fort replies chaps :D
tazla

Post by tazla »

Out for a blast .a bit of harsh braking .no clunk. :mrgreen:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Glad it's sorted.