1.6 laser brake upgrade

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Re: 1.6 laser brake upgrade

Post by fordperv »

The rule of thumb is to use new bolts to put them back together as bolts stretch. iirc the torque figure is around 54nm for them but double check as my memory is hazy
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

timfromull wrote:Am I right in understanding that you're not supposed to split calipers into the two halves because of the factory torque settings or something?.......
Or is that nugget of information from my imagination or a geezer down the pub? :headscratch:
Probably comes from Mr Haynes along with disconnect the battery and exhaust before changing a head lamp bulb.
My personal view is a vice to hold things tight whilst you tighten the bolts is probably quite important but mainly make sure you use new O rings between the halves
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

-JC- wrote:Things have moved on. Modern cars have bigger calipers and discs for a reason. Someone people actually get enjoyment from upgrading their cars, and making it better than Ford intended. Let's face it, the capri was made on a budget using lots of old cortina parts. Plenty of room for improvement.
Always makes me groan when I see things like that being written on here.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I think this thread has the potential to get out of hand quite quickly...

Can we please agree to focus on helping the OP with their query before we lose another member or two over this....?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

:agree:
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

pbar wrote:
-JC- wrote:Things have moved on. Modern cars have bigger calipers and discs for a reason. Someone people actually get enjoyment from upgrading their cars, and making it better than Ford intended. Let's face it, the capri was made on a budget using lots of old cortina parts. Plenty of room for improvement.
Always makes me groan when I see things like that being written on here.

Why's that? And which bit? Not sure if you;re trying to say that technology hasn't improved since the 70s, or that the Capri was designed and made absolutely perfectly and there's no space for improvement.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Pleasant exchanges of opinion welcome, insults are not. As you were.
pbar

Post by pbar »

-JC- wrote:
Why's that? And which bit?
Just the overall putting down of the Capri in general, see it on here loads, always gets to me that. I mean, the Capri was made on a budget from old Cortina parts?

But, each to their own :)
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

pbar wrote:
-JC- wrote:
Why's that? And which bit?
Just the overall putting down of the Capri in general, see it on here loads, always gets to me that. I mean, the Capri was made on a budget from old Cortina parts?

But, each to their own :)
Don't get me wrong, I love capris, obviously. But I won't pretend that it's a perfect machine that can't be improved upon.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
pbar

Post by pbar »

340truck wrote:but unlike Bug, I won't go away.
I was hoping he would stick around, shame that. He was one of the good guys, helped me out loads.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Not sure which part of 'no insults' passed you guys by. Take it off the forum please and show a little respect to other users.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Absolutely refuse to endorse by silence anyone who admits to driving dangerously and then ridicules me for saying I don't. I'm not insulting...I'm stating facts that show that person in a bad light. I can't help those facts. Anybody decent confronted by someone driving any car in the manner this person claims to do PUTTING LIVES AT RISK would act in the way told him I would do.

Been a member of this forum for more years than I can remember and my knowledge of capris and driving them is well documented on it. Nowadays it seems that sort of experience gains no respect. "F u c k you Mr Perfect"? Exactly the reason Bug (who is a personal friend btw) couldn't stay here.

I do, of course, respect the admin ...but ask the members. What sort of person do they want on here? Helping people out and pointing out "errors of judgement" is what I post on here for. Can't say how much longer I can be bothered.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Well I was going to respect admin after they got rid of the posts and leave it at that but hey you've come back so I think I shall reply as well

I was simply standing up for the guy who asked the question for which you basically shot him down, may I ask at which point I ridiculed you for saying you don't drive fast on road?

What I don't take kindly to is people who don't know me insulting me and then when called out on it get all defensive and try to wave their willy around to show their masculinity from the other end of a keyboard and on top attempt to insult my intelligence when in fact you know nothing about or my technical ability or skill, you are not the victim, you instigated it

whilst I appreciate someones experience (these sites would be useless without experienced people) as I said in my first reply "it's a shame what's esculated in this thread as I have noticed you try and help people" what I can't do is respect that person if they try the big man act
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

fordperv wrote:Well I was going to respect admin
You should, as should everyone else. We have the 'off' button after all :!:
Tonight we've waded through 35 requests for new members to join the forum. 1 was genuine the others spam so we certainly don't need other stuff to deal with as well. As alluded to earlier there is a pm function, use it to express your differing opinions that way if you wish.
In the meantime, with apologies to Miniman, we've grasped your views on each other so this thread stops here.