Unregistered 280

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
C4PR1
Car(s): two capris

Re: Unregistered 280

Post by C4PR1 »

I saw the unregistered 280 at cci nationals some years ago. I have photos of it somewhere.
The owner used a trailer to take it there, I remember seeing that it had the TT conversion.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

MS Injection wrote:Hi Paul,

I know the car and the owner too. I have a recollection that it is a TT conversion but that might be a brain fart.

I don't know if it's gospel, but I heard that the original intended buyer (not the current owner) rejected the car after the bonnet was damaged prior to the car being registered, seemingly after someone closed the bonnet when something bulky had been inadvertently left on the plenum. Apparently he felt the car was sullied and a replacement panel would not cut it.

Then, so it goes, this 280 sat in a dealership for a while before somehow being purchased but never registered. I don't know how you can buy a car but not register it. But it seems to happen. There was that unregistered Mk5 Cortina that sold a few years back with 19 or 90 miles on the clock that had been in a private collection for years but never registered.

I call backroom cash deal on things like this. But I confess I like the sound of a new 30 year old car. Not that you should ever buy this 280 and put it on the road. That would be like throwing banknotes into a fire if you bought it unregistered.

Mike
Good to see you around here Mike :) Didn't we also discuss once, that when taking the car to a show, there followed some very less than nice comments from some people regarding the fact that it has remained unregistered, even death threat kind of things?!
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Cheers Paul - I tend to lurk from time to time!

Yes, that's right, there were. Bizarre jealously/resentment perhaps. Apart from anything else, it completely ignores the fact that the owner was not the person that decided not to register it. Shots fired at the messenger type scenario. Should you happen to acquire a limited edition, valuable and rare collectible car that has never been registered, years after it went out of production, I submit that you would be most unlikely to register it unless you weren't in your right mind....It's a little different if it was acquired a few years after production ceased (e.g. somebody registered the G reg 280 after it had sat unsold for a couple of years, but the car under discussion does not fit that bill.

My thoughts anyway!

Mike