Bonnet Stay Grommet

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5009
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby pbar » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:42 pm

The round rubber/plastic bonnet stay grommet/bush thingy on my laser has decided to disentegrate. Anyone advise on where to get a new one please? I can find them all over the internet but defintely have better success with parts from recommendations on here. Nice and cheap at places like Burton and Tickover (£1.70) but when the minimum order value has been added and the whooping £4 ish for postage it's not a bargain anymore! Thanks :)

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11056
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi,
There are plenty on Ebay for under a fiver all in. In fact, there are so many new ones listed I rather suspect that are still available to buy from a main dealer. Hopefully, that will be even cheaper as you'll be saving on the dreaded postage cost.

Andrew
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 4893
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Devon

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby andyd » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:04 am

What a coincidence....Had to replace mine last week, got it from this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gen-Ford-Bon ... 3288958366
Didn't need the clip but will come in useful at some point I expect.

I put the grommet in boiling water for a minute which helped it push in alot easier :)

:goodluck:

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5009
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby pbar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks for the replies :) Good tip with the boiling water trick. Does anyone know if the MK2 and MK3 grommets are the same? Retroford seems the best price if so, just £2.85 with postage.

https://www.retrofordinternational.com/ ... 2055-p.asp

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 4893
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Devon

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby andyd » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:17 am

pbar wrote:Thanks for the replies :) Good tip with the boiling water trick. Does anyone know if the MK2 and MK3 grommets are the same? Retroford seems the best price if so, just £2.85 with postage.

https://www.retrofordinternational.com/ ... 2055-p.asp

It looks the same as mine, so doubt there is too much difference if any and fits most Fords of that era.....

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 11056
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:17 am

Great find. That's a brilliant price, and credit to Retroford for their reasonable postage cost too.

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5009
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby pbar » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:19 am

Well I opted to go for the same one which Andy linked to, as I know it would be ok and thought the extra couple of pounds to have a spare clip also was worth it. Thanks again for the replies :)

Caprigear
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby Caprigear » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:22 am

Just noticed this. I have the grommet and the two different clips in stock.
Image

User avatar
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Posts: 3747
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:40 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
Location: Enfield, London

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby Fordoholic Nick » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:24 pm

pbar wrote:Well I opted to go for the same one which Andy linked to, as I know it would be ok and thought the extra couple of pounds to have a spare clip also was worth it. Thanks again for the replies :)


I got identical ones to Andys link on ebay couple of years back Paul. Very good quality and does the job grand. I open and close my bonnet quite a bit :lol:

Seen loads of them at Santa Pod in the jumble recently. I would have got you some if I knew you needed them Paul. :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5009
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby pbar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:11 am

Caprigear wrote:Just noticed this. I have the grommet and the two different clips in stock.


I did have a look on your website Martin but didn't see them listed. However, with them being so easily available all over the place, I didn't think it necessary to bother you with messages/e-mails, etc. Thanks for the response though as always.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5009
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby pbar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 am

Fordoholic Nick wrote:

Seen loads of them at Santa Pod in the jumble recently. I would have got you some if I knew you needed them Paul. :)


Thank you Nick :) Appreciate that. Should have one finding it's way to me soon.

Caprigear
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2153
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby Caprigear » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 am

I have a good selection of new clips, fittings etc as I use them on the cars that I build. The website doesn't have everything on it as I just don't have the time to keep adding every small item that I have so I would prefer contact either by phone or E Mail.
Image

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5009
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby pbar » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 am

andyd wrote:What a coincidence....Had to replace mine last week, got it from this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gen-Ford-Bon ... 3288958366
Didn't need the clip but will come in useful at some point I expect.


Just realised I never concluded this. Well, the part arrived quickly, thanks again for the link Andy. Fitted perfectly and good service from that ebay seller. Gave the prop a quick rub down and spray whilst it was off too.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 4893
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Devon

Re: Bonnet Stay Grommet

Postby andyd » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 am

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:What a coincidence....Had to replace mine last week, got it from this seller https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gen-Ford-Bon ... 3288958366
Didn't need the clip but will come in useful at some point I expect.


Just realised I never concluded this. Well, the part arrived quickly, thanks again for the link Andy. Fitted perfectly and good service from that ebay seller. Gave the prop a quick rub down and spray whilst it was off too.

:cheers: :D