Fuel gauge now working

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Fuel gauge now working

Post by andyd »

My gauge appears to sometimes fall off the scale (as if ignition is off) or work when it wants to, when it gets to around 1/4 tank.
As I knew I would have it running when doing a few small jobs last week, I took some petrol cans to the garage and got 10 litres of petrol and put it in, and it's now reading just over halfway, so must have been around 20 litres in it.
Assume it's the windings on the sender that are damaged in that area....Just going to keep it above 1/4 tank to be safe.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

We all have them little teething problems that keep us on our toes . I guess the Earth might need a clean up
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote: Assume it's the windings on the sender that are damaged in that area....Just going to keep it above 1/4 tank to be safe.
Sorry to hear you have an issue with your sender Andy. When I had mine repaired the first time, my electrician mate soldered a broken winding & I had exactly that result. Read fine until it went to 1/4 tank then dropped to zero. Used to treat 1/4 as empty. Not an issue really unless it stops working altogether it’s not a problem.
I’ve actually just had it re-wound ( using Andrews suggested wire ) as the new one I bought was sub standard. It works fine in the car & reads on the full scale by hand. As car is sorn I can’t comment on the repairs longevity but here’s hoping it may be a permanent fix.
Good luck with new car, looking forward to seeing it next year :goodluck:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
andyd wrote: Assume it's the windings on the sender that are damaged in that area....Just going to keep it above 1/4 tank to be safe.
Sorry to hear you have an issue with your sender Andy. When I had mine repaired the first time, my electrician mate soldered a broken winding & I had exactly that result. Read fine until it went to 1/4 tank then dropped to zero. Used to treat 1/4 as empty. Not an issue really unless it stops working altogether it’s not a problem.
I’ve actually just had it re-wound ( using Andrews suggested wire ) as the new one I bought was sub standard. It works fine in the car & reads on the full scale by hand. As car is sorn I can’t comment on the repairs longevity but here’s hoping it may be a permanent fix.
Good luck with new car, looking forward to seeing it next year :goodluck:
Hi Rob,
It sometimes works but not always. To be honest I never let a car run under 1/4 tank, so as long as it stays like this I will leave it.

My XR2 gauge was spot on over 1/2 tank, but as soon as it hit half you could watch the needle drop into the red every few minutes and rise back up again :lol: