Under bonnet leading edge

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Under bonnet leading edge

Post by ian_s »

I was hoping someone could possibly help me. I am going to repair my bonnet where the old tin worm has had a feast. It's under the front edge as all of them do. But I'm trying to find out how it should look. It has gone at the same point either side. It seems like it had a bulge possibly for drainage holes? Or maybe it has just blown with the rust. I would like to put it back as it was so I was wondering if anyone could help tell me or better still provide an image of how it should look. Thanks in advance
Image One day she will be back in that field!!
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Re: Under bonnet leading edge

Post by nigecapri »

Blown with rust!
From above, that's where the water runs off the bonnet channels & into the gap between plastic trim & bonnet in rain or when its washed. Here it will find its way into any paint defect or tiny rust spot etc. accelerating corrosion more than at other points. The bonnet front edge always rusts through from the inside first due to never seeing any paint from new.
Before any repair work it would be worth the price of a bottle of Jenolite or similar fast acting rust killer then with suitable floor protection / cardboard / old curtains, pour some inside the leading edge & lift either side to run it along the joint between top face & underside. When cured & filled, lob some paint in there & run along as per above. This should prevent it rusting through again, which it will do if not treated. Don't bother about profiling a shape into it underneath, just make it as long-lasting as possible.
ian_s
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL (restoration project)
Ford Capri 1.6 Laser (2000-2004)
Lexus gs300 daily driver

Re: Under bonnet leading edge

Post by ian_s »

nigecapri wrote:Blown with rust!
From above, that's where the water runs off the bonnet channels & into the gap between plastic trim & bonnet in rain or when its washed. Here it will find its way into any paint defect or tiny rust spot etc. accelerating corrosion more than at other points. The bonnet front edge always rusts through from the inside first due to never seeing any paint from new.
Before any repair work it would be worth the price of a bottle of Jenolite or similar fast acting rust killer then with suitable floor protection / cardboard / old curtains, pour some inside the leading edge & lift either side to run it along the joint between top face & underside. When cured & filled, lob some paint in there & run along as per above. This should prevent it rusting through again, which it will do if not treated. Don't bother about profiling a shape into it underneath, just make it as long-lasting as possible.
That is a first rate answer. Thank You very much. I shall take that advice on board. Also I'm glad it's a simple shape :cool:
Image One day she will be back in that field!!