Timing belt

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rosco59
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s Restoration project

Timing belt

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi I’ve changed the timing belt and tensioner with a QH kit. But the belt seems to slack. The engine runs ok but If wanted to I could pull the belt of the tensioner. Any help thanks
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Timing belt

Post by Paul G »

Sometimes the spring pressure isn't enough to fully tighten the belt so you have to finish it off manually. Loosen the 13mm headed nut on the tensioner and loosen the splined spring holder bolt as well then push the pulley out manually until the belt is tighter. If you can't push it enought use a lever or a long sturdy screwdriver to push on the tensioner base plate until the belt is tightened then quickly tighten up the bolts before it slips back.

The belt is tensioned about right if you can just twist it quarter of a turn hafway between the cam and jackshaft sprockets. Once you are happy it's tensioned OK turn the engine over a couple of turns using a 19mm spanner on the bottom pulley then check the timing marks still all line up.
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Got the belt tensioned now thanks. I’ve still got a problem that the belt moves forward on all the pulleys. When it’s started up don’t if this is ok or not.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

When a new belt is run for the first time it will take a few seconds to "find its line" but so long as it's tensioned OK it shouldn't come off.
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

The belt is about 1mm away from the edge of the tensioner bearing is this ok thanks.
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

As long as the width of the belt is on the tensioner it is fine.

Olly W
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Brilliant thanks for everyone’s help.