2.8 Rocker cover removal and weird alternator issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
markycapri2800
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

2.8 Rocker cover removal and weird alternator issue

Post by markycapri2800 »

Hi there,
I wonder if anyone can help, went to change the rocker cover gaskets on my 86 2.8 special, passenger side bank was straightforward, but what do you have to remove to get the drivers side off, I was a bit reluctant to start pulling pipes etc off if i didn't need to..
I also gunked down the engine and washed it of with water just using a watering can, now if i start the car I have no indicators although the flasher unit works, and when I brake the rev counter drops out and the alternator warning light comes on... any help would be appreciated....
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Re: 2.8 Rocker cover removal and weird alternator issue

Post by r2vdh »

definately the fuses. fuse 7 i think..... but would clean all of them both the holder and fuses with a bit of emery cloth or if you disconnect the battery some wirewool.
markycapri2800

Post by markycapri2800 »

Many thanks for that... just had a look and they look like they have not seen daylight in years... il get them cleaned up and see how it goes.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

markycapri2800 wrote:Hi there,
I wonder if anyone can help, went to change the rocker cover gaskets on my 86 2.8 special, passenger side bank was straightforward, but what do you have to remove to get the drivers side off, I was a bit reluctant to start pulling pipes etc off if i didn't need to..
I also gunked down the engine and washed it of with water just using a watering can, now if i start the car I have no indicators although the flasher unit works, and when I brake the rev counter drops out and the alternator warning light comes on... any help would be appreciated....

You can get the drivers side rocker off if you unbolt the pressure tank from the top of the wing and battery tray and also unbolt the tank itself from the bracket. Remove the plug leads as they get in the way, disconnect the servo pipe and unplug the 7th injector electrical connection and with a bit of juggling it will come out without actually disconnecting any of the coolant pipes. Bit fiddly and you can scratch the box if you are not careful but the alternative is draining part of the cooling system.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
markycapri2800

Post by markycapri2800 »

Thanks so much for that great advice, I just didn't want to disconnect pipes if i dont have to and as you know with old cars they dont like being removed and leaks are a pain to fix... appreciate your help and thanks.. Mark.
markycapri2800

Post by markycapri2800 »

markycapri2800 wrote:Many thanks for that... just had a look and they look like they have not seen daylight in years... il get them cleaned up and see how it goes.
Wow how did you know that, fuse just disintegrated... problem fixed and many thanks....