handbrake 'loop' on diff cover

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

handbrake 'loop' on diff cover

Post by Not_Anumber »

Ive ordered a new diff cover as i spotted a slight seepage around where the handbrake loop is spot welded on.

That got me to wondering if there is supposed to be a grommet or bush of some sort that fits into that loop to prevent vibration ?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: handbrake 'loop' on diff cover

Post by Peter-S »

Not_Anumber wrote:Ive ordered a new diff cover as i spotted a slight seepage around where the handbrake loop is spot welded on.

That got me to wondering if there is supposed to be a grommet or bush of some sort that fits into that loop to prevent vibration ?
Yes there should be. I expect they were rubber in the day but I noticed recently that I have a poly one on the 2.8
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

You’ll be after one of these then...

http://capriclub.co.uk/handbrake-bush
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks - now ordered from Martin at Caprigear.

Im pretty sure now the pin hole leak in the diff cover will have been caused by vibration of the handbrake linkage against the loop as it's right by it's spot welds. That wont happen now with a new cover and bush.
Whilst I was at it Ive ordered spreader plates to reduce the strain on the diff cover around the bolt holes, well they were shiny.

Also as Ive got the axle drained Im changing the rear wheel bearings too as they were an advisory on last year's MOT. Though they'd probably have been fine for years with the small mileage I do it would seem silly not to do them.
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

You could save that old diff cover to be donated to an owner who could weld & paint it up.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

All the bits are here now so i'l make a start at the weekend weather permitting.

making the old diff cover available for someone else isnt a bad idea at all. I'll do that
Bod9084
Car(s): I have got a 1981 3000s and I have just got my self
A 1987 2.8i thay are both red
I had my first capri when I was 17" it was a 3000GTXLR
I have had a lot of fast fords vans all ways put bigger engine in
I also have had motor bikes I have a 1200 Suzuki bandit

Post by Bod9084 »

I made one from a small piece of tube and a flat plate so it was mounted vie the pins
So I dint have to weld to back plate I used a back plate from a searra p100 pickup