Can someone please for the love of god help me figure out what is wrong with my speaker!?!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Can someone please for the love of god help me figure out what is wrong with my speaker!?!

Post by EightyFive »

Man this has been driving me nuts for months, often resulting in me just flat out not listening to any radio.

Basically, at intermitent times (seems to be worse/ more frequent in wet weather) my front RH speaker will make the most horrible crackling noise I've ever heard from a speaker, meaning I have to turn it off just to keep my sanity. At first I thought it was due to bad weather and water getting into it, but it also occasionally happens during the really hot days.

Then I thought maybe it's the speaker itself, being 30 years old I thought this must be it... So I changed them for brand new ones and it went away for a while. Then all of a sudden on a wet evening it happened again!

Here is a video of it happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oY7ul6 ... e=youtu.be

Any thoughts? It's driving me nuts! :banghead:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Can someone please for the love of god help me figure out what is wrong with my speaker!?!

Post by Paul G »

It's probably a problem where the wiring leaves the door and passes through the pillar but could be something to do with the balance knob under the dashboard.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Can someone please for the love of god help me figure out what is wrong with my speaker!?!

Post by Jasonmarie »

So many questions really , does the speaker only play up when your moving ?
Have you got plastic sheet behind the door ? As when it rains the water goes inside the door and out the holes in the bottom ( that’s if your door seals are old .
But I do wonder if it’s from the head unit ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

Speaker plays up when moving & stationary.

Plastic sheet has perished, when I next have the door card off I will wrap up the exposed part of the speaker.

Really hope it's not from the head unit itself, it'd be strange for it to only happen to the speaker on one side.

At the moment I'm thinking it must be the wiring somewhere, I will investigate tomorrow and let you know if I fix it. Just posted in hopes that someone else has had this problem.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

Paul G wrote:It's probably a problem where the wiring leaves the door and passes through the pillar but could be something to do with the balance knob under the dashboard.
I should also mention that it gets louder or quieter depending on volume.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Check the connection at the back of the speaker to make sure it's clean and tight etc I suspect there is a poor connection there causing your issue
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

pm sent
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes if the problem got better or even went then yes it must be speaker end but if you have the ford headunit I wonder if the sound pickup point might be going or even the wire is split and earthing as that what it sounds like .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

My cave stereo has a shit FM ant ( and a tin roof ) and occasionally one speaker gets all fizzy/crackly which can always be fixed by rattling the ant wire ( or throwing something at it :xd: ) as it hangs from the underside of the roof . Is it just the radio or the tape player too ? could be getting water into the ant , specially if its one of them lectrik wind up/down jobbies , Just a thought :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi there,

Not sure what head unit you have, but swap the left for the right and right for the left on / at the head, if it’s the Ford unit, just unplug the speaker plugs and swap um round. If the problem stays put it’s either your wiring or speaker, if it moves over to the left, it’s your head. Should give you some direction! Hope this helps? Cheers,

John.
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

That sounds like a blown amp output to me.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

Sorry for not updating, thanks for all your help guys, I suspect the head/ amp output as I can't see any fault with the wires. Anyone know of any good radio repair shops in the cambridgeshire area?