Vapor Lock how to stop ?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Iscb2017
Car(s): None yet

Vapor Lock how to stop ?

Post by Iscb2017 »

Good morning

My mk3 2.0s has recently started cutting out (and refused to restart unless left for five or ten minutes) and the mechanic that looked at the car (and fixed what may have been overheating issues due to thermostat being in the wrong way round !) suggested it could be due to vapor lock.

His explanation was that when the heat in the engine bay reaches a high level the fuel in the lines vaporises before it gets into the engine - logically this makes sense - I'm wondering if there is a way to prevent this happening ? For example could I insulate the fuel lines ? If so what sort of material could I use ?

Thanks

Ian
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Vapor Lock how to stop ?

Post by Peter-S »

I had something similar a few years back and was looking at vapour lock but the reality seemed to be a failing fuel pump and a weak mixture so check those first perhaps.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Re: Vapor Lock how to stop ?

Post by ollyw »

Have a check the carb is plumbed up the right way round.

I had this problem years ago and it was simply that the feed from the fuel pump was mistakenly fed to the return outlet rather than the input side of the carb.

Tracing and swapping the hoses over cured everything instantly.

olly W