Brake caliper restore

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Brake caliper restore

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi Folks just spent the last 2 days trying to clean up my brake calipers but cane across a few problems on the way !! The pistons on the drivers side caliper were seized but managed to get them out by pumping the brake pedal .

Next was the bleed nipples the were not for moving but managed to get a hold of a socket that got a hold . My problem now is I need new pistons and bleed screws!! But not sure what sizes I need ? Been looking at pistons for a ford m 16 caliper and M 10 x1.00 bleed niples does that all sound about right ?? Decided to go for stainless steel so I dont have the same problems again. Any help with the parts I need would be great .
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Brake caliper restore

Post by Paul G »

You can get all you need at Bigg Red caliper reconditioners. I bought a piston and seal kit for my laser and they seem fine. They also reconditioned the rear calipers on my Skoda VRs and did a good job.

http://biggred.co.uk/
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

:agree:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

pm sent
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Paul G wrote:You can get all you need at Bigg Red caliper reconditioners. I bought a piston and seal kit for my laser and they seem fine. They also reconditioned the rear calipers on my Skoda VRs and did a good job.

http://biggred.co.uk/
Thanks for the info but I have orderd some off e bay but since then I had a look at the Bigg Red parts and will use them next time . Cheers Alex
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi folks managed to get brake calipers fitted with new stainless steel pistons and seals , but I am still having the same problems as before . The steering wheel shakes when turning round a right hand corner at speed so I guess the siezed brake piston was not the problem.

What else would I replace next ? Tca, steering rack, ?? Any advise on what to try next would be helpfull . Cheers Alex
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

caprikid61 wrote:Hi folks managed to get brake calipers fitted with new stainless steel pistons and seals , but I am still having the same problems as before . The steering wheel shakes when turning round a right hand corner at speed so I guess the siezed brake piston was not the problem.

What else would I replace next ? Tca, steering rack, ?? Any advise on what to try next would be helpfull . Cheers Alex
Sounds like TCA or bushes to me.

If the brakes are still sticking it could be a flexi hose breaking up internally and also check your strut top mounts and wheel bearing adjustment.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Thanks for that Steve I will get on that later today going to get the car jacked up get someone to turn the steering and see if there is any play anywhere . Fitted new tca's 2 years ago and track rod ends but doing 10000 miles a year so they might be worn out again. Also gonna try changing wheel around to see if that helps. Cheers Alex
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

I have found the after market TCA’s to have very poor quality bushes, swap them out for polyurethane and it may well solve the problem, it did for me and my TCA’s were new
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi folks thought I would give you all an update on my steering problem , fitted new track rod ends also had my steering rack reconditioned so I no longer have the steering wobble on right hand bends . Now I get the feeling that the struts can do with new springs and inserts as there is a clunking when I turn the steering as the spring turns it seems to be rubbing at the top of the strut somewhere , might be needing new strut mounts but wont know until I get the strut off . Anyone had problems with the springs clunking as the steering is turned ? Cheers Alex
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

caprikid61 wrote:there is a clunking when I turn the steering as the spring turns it seems to be rubbing at the top of the strut somewhere
Hi Alex,
That sounds like the springs might be moving in the cups at the top or bottom of their mounts when the steering is on full lock.
Check that the ends of the springs are located in the cups correctly. The ends of the springs should be flattened to facilitate this, and the ends should also have a thin sleeve that should alleviate the clunking noise.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

caprikid61 wrote:Anyone had problems with the springs clunking as the steering is turned ?
Mine used to do this and I think the spring was on it's way out, as it did snap at one point. Put new springs on and it never happened since. I would make sure that the end of the springs locate in the cups properly, there is a 'stop' where the spring should end.