Floor welding

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Floor welding

Post by ThatGuy »

The anchor points for my seat rails are really rusted and cracked so I need to weld in some more steel.
My question is what steel do people usually use? Initially I thought just 1.5mm steel would be fine but I'm having second thoughts. I could use something proper beefy like 3mm but it'll still only be welded to 1-1.5mm or whatever it is around it.

Any thoughts or help would be awesome :)
Ratty as fuck
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Floor welding

Post by Paul G »

Most people just make a repair patch just bigger than the corroded/cracked area, drill a 10 mm hole in it and bolt it to the floor using a seat bolt then just weld it over the top of the existing area. To do it properly you could cut out the bad area and make a new plate using the cut out bit as a template, butt weld it in, then drill out the spot welds from the captive bolt and mounting plate, separate it from the old floor remains and then re-weld that to the new patch.

You could then grind down the welds to make an invisible repair if you are doing a concours rebuild.

Steel is 1.1 mm.
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Re: Floor welding

Post by ThatGuy »

Ah awesome thanks for that info.
As I was looking at it I've notice some of the area around it was slightly warped so I've cut it all out and made a patch to butt weld in. I havnt looked yet but are you able to buy the underside mounting plates and captive nuts? I'm not too fussed about it looking invisible as it'll be under the seats but once I start my build thread I'll show everyone the before and after
Ratty as fuck