MK3 Headlight Relay

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Nigel 1953
Car(s): 1987 Capri Laser 2.0

MK3 Headlight Relay

Post by Nigel 1953 »

The MOT on my laser is due at the end of May and I have noticed that my main beam headlights have stopped working. This happened a few years back and my car passed the MOT with only an advisory 2 years running. I eventually fixed the problem by replacing the relay. Still have the old one.

I have taken the metal cover off the original relay and can see nothing wrong. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of repairing these items. I had thought that just cleaning the contacts may resolve the problem, but only one of the relays operates when power is applied.

I realise that I may have to get another used relay but with the last one failing after little use I would be interested to know if these may be repairable.

Any help greatly appreciated.
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Re: MK3 Headlight Relay

Post by MS Injection »

I had this issue a while back, and we rebuilt the relay. I'm no expert to explain it but I'll try to remember to put before and after photos up when I'm on the computer this week as an idea for repair.

Mike
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: MK3 Headlight Relay

Post by Noel »

Apologies if you have already done this, but have you checked the fuses and their contacts at the bottom of the relay assembly are in-tact and clean?