Mk3 GL Radio Query

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Mk3 GL Radio Query

Post by Jasonmarie »

Must of missed this the last few days but yes that’s it I never thought I would see one of them again , as I far as I can remember the sound was really good . Funny as that was the DB in the day .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:That's how they were wired Danny, no need for permanent live as no tuning memory except for the preset buttons.

Could be an internal fuse, dry wiring joints or anything really that would stop it working. Probably best get someone in the know to look at it.

I would think the centre speaker would be a 6X4.

Back in the dark ages when I had my nearly new MK2 2.0S I replaced the standard unit with a sharp anss stereo/cassette and surface mounted speakers on the rear shelf side supports although the car wasn't even fitted with a shelf back then.
Thanks for this Paul, will go out and get a speaker sorted then and see if that helps!

Good point about not needing the permanent live, makes plenty of sense now I think about it...

I'm thinking about fitting a more modern/new radio in the glove box or hidden away somewhere else, but newer radios will require a permanent live. Is there a way you (or anyone else) would recommend I wire a permanent live? I was thinking of trying to wire something to the fusebox in front of the driver under the bonnet if that would work....?

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Nigel 1953
Car(s): 1987 Capri Laser 2.0

Post by Nigel 1953 »

I think the permanent live feed for the radio on the last of the lasers was taken from the clock.

Hope this helps.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Nigel 1953 wrote:I think the permanent live feed for the radio on the last of the lasers was taken from the clock.

Hope this helps.
That's awesome, think a quick scotch clip off the live to the clock would be the easiest solution, great knowledge thanks Nigel :)

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Know this was a while back but wanted to update....

Have fitted a new Bluetooth radio in the glove box and it's all working dandy, but the front speaker has baffled me.
The radio in the dash is the P32 with a single speaker behind it, I took it out and compared it to the ones I got that Paul G recommended in another thread and fitted to his car (turns out they were quieter than the originals so I've just left them in!) but the speaker out of the GL is a large almost square shape with two screw holes at the end rather than a traditional 6x4 with 4 mounting points like in the door cards of other models, just wondered if anyone had a clue about what sort of speaker it actually is so I can try and find a more modern upgrade at all?

Also, I wired speakers into the back in the parcel shelf holder as the screw points were still there, just took the interior out and ran the wires through the square rubber bung and under the rear seats through some of the gaps in the metal-work and then took the carpet and centre console out to run the wires under the carpet of the centre console right up to the dash so it comes out near the clock and up to the new radio in the glove box all hidden by the carpets and dashboard! Quite happy with it :beer:
David
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1977 Capri II 2.0 GL

Post by David »

Taff50ish wrote:Hi Danny,

Sorry fella, I was wrong!!! The 1982 / 1983 GL came with a P32 Radio, MW/LW/VHF!!!! So this might have had front door speakers??? It is very hard to tell from the Magazine, but with VHF, whats the point if you only have the 1 Speaker???
I might be wrong, but I believe these radios were still mono rather than stereo? Which would have meant no need for dual speakers in the doors.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

David wrote:
I might be wrong, but I believe these radios were still mono rather than stereo? Which would have meant no need for dual speakers in the doors.
I think you're right David, must be Mono as there is only the one speaker in the dash, can't fathom the size of the thing or where I'll find a replacement but hey ho!

Cheers
Danny
David
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1977 Capri II 2.0 GL

Post by David »

I'm having a re-trim at the moment and am also pondering speaker placement - I have a set of Mk2 Ghia kick panels which have carpeting on them, same shape and fitting as the standard plastic kick panels except that the lower bit is entirely carpet with no plastic behind it.

I'm wondering if I could put standard door speakers in them rather than cut holes in my soon to be mint again doorcards...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

David wrote:I'm having a re-trim at the moment and am also pondering speaker placement - I have a set of Mk2 Ghia kick panels which have carpeting on them, same shape and fitting as the standard plastic kick panels except that the lower bit is entirely carpet with no plastic behind it.

I'm wondering if I could put standard door speakers in them rather than cut holes in my soon to be mint again doorcards...
Good idea! Would be easy enough to do for sure, are you keeping the original radio in the dash to use or are you hiding a better/more modern unit somewhere else to use? I have a new radio in the glove box of both of mine, saves the kerfuffle with fiddling with the original wires and means I can put CDs in, Bluetooth a phone to it etc. which is pretty handy!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

David wrote:I'm having a re-trim at the moment and am also pondering speaker placement - I have a set of Mk2 Ghia kick panels which have carpeting on them, same shape and fitting as the standard plastic kick panels except that the lower bit is entirely carpet with no plastic behind it.

Worth a try perhaps but I'm not sure there is enough room behind the panel for the back part of the speaker.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr