MK3 rear screen

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
capri28
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:51 am
Car(s): Rosso Red Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Daily driver)
Stratos Silver Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Summer driver)

MK3 rear screen

Postby capri28 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi,

A few MK3 related questions...

What year did Ford put in bonded screens?
Are bonded screens the same as non bonded?
Can a bonded screen be removed without damage?

Cheers.

timfromull
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:13 pm
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

Re: MK3 rear screen

Postby timfromull » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:53 am

I removed my original (reg engraved) bonded screen from my old rotten tail gate to keep as a spare.
I used a strong wire (earth from 2.5 twin and earth) as a cheese wire......coupled with a very sharp Stanley.

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
On the hunt for some capri shaped V6 power....
Location: South Bucks

Re: MK3 rear screen

Postby D366Y » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 am

Quick side point, but since you kept your original obviously you've replaced the glass; did you get the reg re-etched onto the new glass? Can this even be done...??

(sorry for the minor hi-jack!)

Cheers
Danny

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4943
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: MK3 rear screen

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 am

I've wondered this before too. You can still get it done and you can even get a kit to do it yourself -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Car-Se ... B00CD7YDVU

timfromull
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:13 pm
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van
Location: Stoke-on-Trent

Re: MK3 rear screen

Postby timfromull » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:29 pm

D366Y wrote:Quick side point, but since you kept your original obviously you've replaced the glass; did you get the reg re-etched onto the new glass? Can this even be done...??

(sorry for the minor hi-jack!)

Cheers
Danny

I haven't re etched the number onto the new screen as yet.
It's not that high up on my priority list at the moment to be honest.
I picked up a mint tailgate that has perfect glass etc.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 4731
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: MK3 rear screen

Postby andyd » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:11 pm

pbar wrote:I've wondered this before too. You can still get it done and you can even get a kit to do it yourself -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Car-Se ... B00CD7YDVU

I did my own on my Mk3 Escort around 1984/85 using a similar kit from the local motor factors.

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
On the hunt for some capri shaped V6 power....
Location: South Bucks

Re: MK3 rear screen

Postby D366Y » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:58 am

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:I've wondered this before too. You can still get it done and you can even get a kit to do it yourself -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vehicle-Car-Se ... B00CD7YDVU

I did my own on my Mk3 Escort around 1984/85 using a similar kit from the local motor factors.


Thanks for this info guys, Sorry to OP for taking things off point!

Danny


Return to “Q & A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 18 guests