Car feels weird lol

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Car feels weird lol

Post by Not_Anumber »

Replacing my rear springs immediately improved the ride and handling and made the car sit evenly when parked. I went for CCI single leafs but whatever you get make sure they are good quality ones and fit them using good bushes and shackles.

I hope we dont lose Bug. I can agree with him that it's not great to have been called a know it all by someone new with only a handful of posts to their name. Not a reason to leave though.
NaisiaN
Car(s): 1.6 laser 1986. (Toy)
1.4 Renault 19 TR 1989. (Daily)

Post by NaisiaN »

Not_Anumber wrote:Replacing my rear springs immediately improved the ride and handling and made the car sit evenly when parked. I went for CCI single leafs but whatever you get make sure they are good quality ones and fit them using good bushes and shackles.

I hope we dont lose Bug. I can agree with him that it's not great to have been called a know it all by someone new with only a handful of posts to their name. Not a reason to leave though.

Hoping this happens with mine, just bought some leaf springs from a local motor factors who always sorts me out. Originally bought some from tickover but wait time was 6 weeks :/.

Capri's currently in the garage waiting to get sorted but hes taking his sweet time!

With regards to the bushes and shackles... the leafs came with bushes fitted, bought some new Ubolts as the bloke doing the work told me to get some, will i definitely need a set of shackles ? also any other bushes i need?
Jordan
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

If the new leafs have the bushes in then you wont need anything else, and you won't necessarily need new shackles but depends how your current shackles are, if you can get a new/refurbished set for a decent price it might be worth getting new shackles at the same time to keep everything nice and shiny seeing as they'll have to take the old shackles off anyways would be easy enough to put new ones on, or would be annoying if the current ones break or something when they take them off and a bolt shears or something?

I kept my old ones and re-sprayed them when the old springs were off and then re-fitted them
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Just in case I needed shackles and bushes I agreed a sale or return deal with CCI so long as I definitely bought the springs. It seemed the best way around as I really didnt want to start the job and get stuck with car left on axle stands waiting for parts.

When it came to it though Im afraid the look of the shiny new shackles turned my head so I just ended up returning one set of bushes for a credit.