Exhaust recommendations

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Re: Exhaust recommendations

Post by tejb1 »

I have a Sportex system on my 1.6; it's ok on most speed bumps but will scrape if there's anything in the boot. There's a particular set of speed bumps in Watford that always cause an awful scraping noise mind. I did have some problems last year as a rubber mount has deteriorated and as theres not much clearance, ended up with the tailpipe rubbing a tyre.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

tejb1 wrote:I have a Sportex system on my 1.6; it's ok on most speed bumps but will scrape if there's anything in the boot. There's a particular set of speed bumps in Watford that always cause an awful scraping noise mind. I did have some problems last year as a rubber mount has deteriorated and as theres not much clearance, ended up with the tailpipe rubbing a tyre.
I had the same problem for a small period of time, new rubbers and re-jiggling the exhaust position along the car solved it for me as the original rubbers had started to crack and perished basically
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

D366Y wrote:
tejb1 wrote:I have a Sportex system on my 1.6; it's ok on most speed bumps but will scrape if there's anything in the boot. There's a particular set of speed bumps in Watford that always cause an awful scraping noise mind. I did have some problems last year as a rubber mount has deteriorated and as theres not much clearance, ended up with the tailpipe rubbing a tyre.
I had the same problem for a small period of time, new rubbers and re-jiggling the exhaust position along the car solved it for me as the original rubbers had started to crack and perished basically
It was quite a comical day really. Had run over a screw, went to tyre place. They couldn't repair due to the exhaust having rubbed the inside, so needed new tyres. Noticed the rubber cracked, took a photo to show at the parts shop and dropped my phone, smashing it. So what started the day as going out to spend £20 on a puncture repair cost considerably more!