So...im assuming this is a bearing issue?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

So...im assuming this is a bearing issue?

Post by Arya2.0S »

ImageIMG_20180401_151716086 by Fairy Dreaming, on Flickr

I've been hearing a low pitched rumble coming from somewhere when i used the brakes. I couldn't tell if it was the front or rear so i pulled the handbrake up while i was rolling and i could still hear the noise so determined it was coming from the drums on the back. Not a horrible noise, but its there.

So took off the left hand side drum to check the shoes as i figured they were worn, but didnt see any issues....went to the other side and found this as seen above.

Diff grease pissing out of the half shaft, so new bearings for that side im assuming? (Im right in thinking that there are no seals, as the bearings are the seals themselves, right?)

Only did the opposite side last year because of the same symptom (grease leaking out, there was no rumble then though), so im guessing the grease has found a new path of least resistance and is now leaking out the opposite side which has weaker and older bearings, probably not the ones with the correct raised rubber seals.

As i turn the wheels however i can hear the sound of cogs turning and you can feel it through the axle, am i right in guess this is the crown pinion in the diff? Is this normal and something to do with the fact the car is up in the air and theres no weight on the axle, or a sign of a bigger problem?
Im assuming the oil level most be low inside too by now? It never makes a noise while im driving though, literally only when i brake which i find strange.

Didn't think the axle did any kind of braking so not sure why i only hear the noise when the rear brakes kick in, but this leaking must have something to do with it? Could the grease on the shoes be making the noise?

Guess i should have done both bearings on each side at once when i did the left hand side last year i suppose, but budget and time was likely the reason we didnt.

At least i know which bearings to get now! :xd: :banghead: :roll:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: So...im assuming this is a bearing issue?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote: (Im right in thinking that there are no seals, as the bearings are the seals themselves, right?)
Yes, as long as you get the correct bearings.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

It looks to me that your diagnosis was spot on. That is the bearing seal letting go.

I fear you need a set of shoes as well, you could remove them and clean them with brake cleaner then rough them up with emery paper but once contaminated they should be renewed.

What with the throttle cable, I hope your run of bad luck ends soon.

Paul.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Cool thanks, I'll get some new bearings ordered. Hey, if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all :roll:

And people wonder why I have issues :xd: :xd:
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Trust me your not alone mate :banghead:
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have the bearing.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Mr B wrote:Trust me your not alone mate :banghead:
I think we all get fed up with our cars at times.
Especially with small oil leaks you can never seem to trace/fix, but drops appear on the floor from time to time :doh:

If you buy something else you'll probably inherit more issues, and possibly worse or more annoying......We never win for long :?

We all get old and develop problems :cheers:
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi Andy,

Totally agree with you, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of Capri's that I can use for work, however both cars at the moment have blown heater motor fans and one of them has a clutch that seems determined to shake the car to piece's, weird thing is I don't mind doing the clutch myself but the thought of messing with the heater fan's feel's me with dread especially as there is two of the poxy thing's to do! I'm definitely a glutton for punishment!

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Post by r2vdh »

Just make sure you fit the bearing round the correct orientation.

Lots of Chinese Crappy bearings in the market put in named boxes so be careful too. too.