So.... throttle cables

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

So.... throttle cables

Post by Arya2.0S »

As I sit here stranded since the throttle cable I bought from Burton's less than a few months ago to replace an old cable which also snapped and left me stranded too, I'm wondering if anyone knows a better place to get throttle cables from as it seems clear that the ones from Burton are complete shite?
Yesterday the key broke in the old petrol filler cap leaving me unable to get petrol, and on my way out today to fix that my throttle cable snaps AGAIN!
Anyone want to buy a Capri? I'm really getting fed up with this nonsense.
Arya2.0S

Re: So.... throttle cables

Post by Arya2.0S »

It's funny, but it seems everything that goes wrong on this car is due to an aftermarket part failing. Says alot doesn't it?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi.

Chin up mate :)

Reckon you just been very unfortunate as Burton normally supply very good equipment. Having two go on you is very bad luck indeed if you are not thrashing the fuck out of it which I think we can all gather you are not :)

Martin would prob say the same re Burton stuff but he can get you a cable but as it is exactly just that you just have to hope the supplies our valued parts guys get themselves to supply us are decent.

Regards the key in the petrol cap...yep thats realllly unlucky fella !! Can see why you are cursing the Capri at the mo mate but stick with it...these things happen. You'll get it sorted and will be back out driving in no time.

:goodluck:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Don’t get a new car they really go wrong I had 3 water pumps in the first 6 months of owning our bus and then they did it again last year .
New cars are plastic , paper , and bake bean tins . Keep with it :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have a new one available. It's strange that you have had problems with them snapping, It's probably a stupid question but are they routed anywhere near the exhaust manifold as this will affect them over time and would cause them to snap .
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Caprigear wrote:It's probably a stupid question but are they routed anywhere near the exhaust manifold as this will affect them over time and would cause them to snap .
Yeah that's a good point Martin. Also be interesting if it has actually snapped in the same place too ? Mine is routed so its not really near the manifold and it is not 'forced' anywhere where it bends...here's a puc of mine

Image2018-03-31_07-25-02 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I never tire of looking at Nick's immaculate engine bay! :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I never tire of looking at Nick's immaculate engine bay! :D
:lol: You're too kind Andrew. Many thanks sir....but you can't see my leaky core plug !!

I presume Arya's throttle cable is routed similar to mine so strange its snapped twice on him. Very unlucky if its just down to a 'bad' cable. Just as with Martin's suppliers you would nornally have trust in Burton too. I hope he gets it sorted and back on the road.

All the best mate

Nick
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Thanks guys. Ive gone ahead and ordered one from an ebay seller, looks slightly different from the one that snapped so hopefully its slightly better, these things seem to be pot luck. Didnt think to ask Martin for some reason, sorry.
It snapped at the opposite end this time, at the assembly point under the air filter, last time it was at the pedal end so who knows whats going on. Everything is routed as it should be like in Nicks picture.
Perhaps it wasnt adjusted properly and was technically too tight, so over its short lifespan it just couldnt handle the tension? I dunno, the pedal always felt fine to me, and i havent been booting it that hard either as i dont want to blow up my engine.
But now theres a new problem....new thread required :swear: