Mk2/3 Parcel Shelf

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
dave635
Car(s): Past : 77 2.0Ghia, 79 3.0s, 86 2.8special, 80 3.0s.
Present : 80 3.0s X-pack, 89 BMW 635csi.

Mk2/3 Parcel Shelf

Post by dave635 »

Hi, a couple of questions on the original parcel shelf.

1. did the original equipment mk 2/3 parcel shelf (up to 1981, not 2.8) have carpet sections fitted as standard or was it bare ?

2. are there any markings (part number etc) to tell a shelf is genuine ?

Thanks for any info,

Cheers,

Dave.
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Re: Mk2/3 Parcel Shelf

Post by Capriscott »

My 1986 2.0 laser came with carpet on the parcel shelf. As far as I know the car came original like that.

Not sure about any markings though
Rumble
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

The originals were made of a fiborous felty hardboardy type material but the repos are either fibreglass or plastic. The repo's seem stronger, i'm fitting one to my Laser and Fordaholic Nick has one on his which looks 100%.

To fit you have to remove everything from the broken old shelf including the carpet and re fit it all to the new one.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:The originals were made of a fiborous felty hardboardy type material but the repos are either fibreglass or plastic. The repo's seem stronger, i'm fitting one to my Laser and Fordaholic Nick has one on his which looks 100%.

To fit you have to remove everything from the broken old shelf including the carpet and re fit it all to the new one.
:agree: The repos are good quality.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yep, just as Paul and Andy have said I can deffo recommend the Capri Club Parcel Shelf too. Unlike the original this one does not come with the carpet fitted which is prob the one that you may have seen bare. As Paul said though you do need to transfer ALL of the fittings from an original. If you do not have an original then you will have to source the fittings like the pivot bar with end fittings, hanging strings with grommets, rubber seal for the front edge as you look at it when fitted, new carpet and most important the reinforcenent strip that stops the shelf 'flexing/bending'. Without this it WILL bend as I found out myself after forgetting to keep this strip from my original shelf. John (taff50ish) very kindly made me up a great solution to this reinforcement. Most of the above you should be able to get from CCI/breakers/suppliers/ebay but if you find a knackered original shelf for a few quid could be worth buying just for the parts.

See here for my thread on John's great job addressing the issue of reinforcement I had.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50385&p=341473&hil ... lf#p341473

Yes the CCI Shelves really are superb value for money indeed as if you are lucky enough to actually find a half decent original shelf be prepared to dig very deep in your pockets to get one as they can go for hundreds of £'s. My CCI repro shelf I had to drill the holes for the hanging strings and as mine did not have any pre-marked positions this was pretty tricky but I have heard that most repro shelves should have a tiny pre-drill to mark where you need to drill. Other than this it really is just a case of transferring fittings across to new one. I was kindly given some carpet from Andrew 2.8i who had some he did not use. Its not original but still looks really good. You can also stick some foam tape to the underside where it might want to rattle against the speaker shelf it sits on.

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
dave635
Car(s): Past : 77 2.0Ghia, 79 3.0s, 86 2.8special, 80 3.0s.
Present : 80 3.0s X-pack, 89 BMW 635csi.

Post by dave635 »

thanks guys, good info & I have seen the CCI shelves before.

Was interested if the originals had the carpet because there was one offered on ebay the other day which had no carpet but was claimed to be an original. I've had 3 pre-81 Capris before but sadly I can't remember if the shelves had carpet, its an age thing !!

cheers,
Dave.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

The earlier MK3's often didn't have carpet on the shelf.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Caprigear wrote:The earlier MK3's often didn't have carpet on the shelf.
I didn't know this Martin. Always thought carpet was standard. Learn something new.....again :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

I remember a few years ago looking at a 78 T reg Ghia and it’s original shelf was plain black with no carpet.