Handbrake Switch

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Handbrake Switch

Post by Capriscott »

My handbrake Switch and brake fluid warning light is not working. I haven't checked the lamp yet but will do that soon. I have restored the MK3 laser but never got the warning light to work. Just wanted a bit of help of the location of the handbrake Switch and what colour cables will be going to this switch?

Thanks
Rumble
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: Handbrake Switch

Post by Bug »

Its a simple plunger affair under the handbrake gaiter in the console.
As far as I remember it's just a single brown wire to it, that basically completes the earth circuit when you put the handbrake on.
However, this is also the low brake fluid warning light. You can test by pushing down the rubber centre of the fluid reservoir cap and the light should come on.
Chances of both failing are much less than a simple blown bulb.
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Post by Capriscott »

Thanks for the reply. You were correct with the wire colour and how many.
I checked the lamp and that was fine but on further inspection I found the tabs to connect the instrument cluster to the lamp were squashed and not completing the circuit.
Tested both handbrake and brake reservoir and all is good.
Rumble
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Capriscott wrote:Thanks for the reply. You were correct with the wire colour and how many.
I checked the lamp and that was fine but on further inspection I found the tabs to connect the instrument cluster to the lamp were squashed and not completing the circuit.
Glad it's fixed

And more importantly, you actually bothered to give us feedback! Thank you ;)
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Capriscott wrote:Thanks for the reply. You were correct with the wire colour and how many.
This is useful, thanks,I have exactly the same problem but haven't got around to properly looking into it... Will check the same thing!