Best super glue on the market?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Best super glue on the market?

Post by Jim »

Hey guys,

Whats the best super glue on the market? The clip part of my radio fader knob has broken and previous attempts of gluing it back together have not gone well by the looks of it. Can anyone recommend a really good super glue which they have had experience with that will mean the fader knob won't keep falling apart?

Many thanks in advance guys.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Best super glue on the market?

Post by Paul G »

For something you want to last don't bother with super glue - use araldite. Leave it plenty of time to set before playing with your knob!

Paul.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

+1 for Araldite.
However, if Gorilla glue is as good as it looks on the TV advert, it might also be worth a try.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I used to use something called plastic fusion when I built models. Once fully cured it was like concrete, but still had enough flex to prevent cracking under stress. Took ages to fully cure though, and dried a whitish beige colour and required sanding and painting afterwards, but it was the best stuff I've ever used, Alraldite was a competent second though.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

The best super glue, in my experience so far is the Vitalbond CA range (google it).
There is a big difference between stuff like that as used by professional modelmakers and the little tubes you get at checkout
It comes in different viscosities. I use the thick stuff (has a red label) and it is good. It has a 45 second curing time, so you do need to clamp it or be very patient at holding things together, but once its set, its strong and being thick it gets into crevices etc.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I've used Gorilla glue recently for a couple of things, and it is really good. Follow the instructions carefully though, you have to dampen the glue area with water, as it is this which activates it. And it takes several hours to properly cure. Many people just use it like a superglue and it will disappoint then.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Pick up some activator if you can, then no need to hold stuff whilst you wait for it to cure!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Many thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I've bought some araldite crystal and will see how I get on with that. I'll post my results after using it.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, does anyone have a post of the clip inside the knob...I'm not sure if the clip consists of one whole shape or two half moons? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Jim wrote:Hey guys, does anyone have a post of the clip inside the knob...I'm not sure if the clip consists of one whole shape or two half moons? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Two half moon shapes, it's not one solid piece of plastic

Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jim

Post by Jim »

D366Y wrote:
Jim wrote:Hey guys, does anyone have a post of the clip inside the knob...I'm not sure if the clip consists of one whole shape or two half moons? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Danny
Many thanks Danny. Much appreciated.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Jim wrote:
D366Y wrote:

Danny
Many thanks Danny. Much appreciated.
No worries, let me know how it goes as mine has broken about three times so need to find some decent glue!!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Finally got round to gluing the clip back together today. Used araldite crystal. Seems pretty solid but haven't tried it on the car yet. Had to do the gap by eye :?

Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Can make most superglues alot better with a bit of bicarbonate of soda ;)

make the join and use lots of superglue. Then coat everything in bicarbonate of soda(yes the stuff the wife will have in the kitchen cupboards) and coat all the join.
Then you can brush it off instantly and the join will be fully cured and alot stronger than normal superglue. Works a treat on my models.

If you want to know how it works, it is simple. Real Magic!
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Post by EightyFive »

Jim wrote:Finally got round to gluing the clip back together today. Used araldite crystal. Seems pretty solid but haven't tried it on the car yet. Had to do the gap by eye :?

Lol, what I did with mine was let it harden to the point where I could wiggle it a little with my finger without it completely collapsing. Then I made the hole slightly smaller than I thought it needed to be, then I put it back on the radio. Once it slotted on nicely I took it off and let it dry completely in that position, retested it then put a little more glue on the outside of the moon just in case. Seemed to work!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have been using gorilla glue also the tape as well my verdict is really good one word of warning as I found out the brown glue stays brown . As I think many of you know I restore watches and clocks and have to use a good wood glue for the clocks After using the gorilla it did really stick down well leaving less residue around the side . But the brown stuff stay away from .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Will01 wrote:Can make most superglues alot better with a bit of bicarbonate of soda ;)
At first I thought that this must be some kind of wind up, but after looking it up on the internet, it appears to be true.
Thanks for the heads-up. next time I need to repair something I'm going to give it a go.

Andrew.
Will01
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6GL 1981 (Track Project) & 2.0 GL 1979(Gone to Capri Heaven)
Alfa 156 GTA (Daily Driver)
Alfa 2.4JTD Sportwagon
Mini Cooper S (Wife's)
Old Jags & Riley's for fun

Post by Will01 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Will01 wrote:Can make most superglues alot better with a bit of bicarbonate of soda ;)
At first I thought that this must be some kind of wind up, but after looking it up on the internet, it appears to be true.
Thanks for the heads-up. next time I need to repair something I'm going to give it a go.

Andrew.
I can certainly say it is brilliant and certainly no wind up.
I do alot of Scale Model building and this comes in handy alot, it also annoys my wife alot as she keeps losing her bicarb soda hehe!
It means you can also use Superglue as a filler to fill gaps and then can be sanded down
Plans have changed to just make a good fun Track Car :)