Another start problem and it is not a negative issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Another start problem and it is not a negative issue

Post by Capriscott »

Hi All

I have had problems from the start and I have always thought it was a negative issue. After re wiring, putting the battery in the boot, new twin 40's, new edge 1.4kw starter and a retune my pinto 2.0 will struggle to start when cold. It almost sounds like the the engine is too advanced and trying to start anticlockwise. It is advanced by 12 degrees and this should be fine. I have put new 35mm positive and negatives in to the starter and earthed the chassis. When the engine is hot it starts perfectly never going over one revolution.

Any ideas would be treat
Rumble
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Another start problem and it is not a negative issue

Post by Paul G »

12 degrees btdc isn't over the top - later 1.6's run at that anyway. You say you've earthed the body and the engine but have you earthed the engine directly to the body or back to the battery through the 35mm cable? If so there might be a bit too much resistance over the length of the cable causing the starter's laziness.

Also, has compression been substantially raised by head skimming etc and are you running a thick oil?

Finally is your battery man enough bearing in mind the power loss through the longer cables?