Rust location. Panel needed but no idea of the name

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator
Car(s): I have a rusty shell. Made some patches. Now the welding.

Rust location. Panel needed but no idea of the name

Post by Hot_Protein »

Hi guys.

I have a rust hole from the engine bay to the wheel well. I think the bumper mounts through this panel. I need to get a couple of repair panels but I don't know what they're called so it's hard to search for. I went on steel panels website but they don't have pictures of all their panels. Anyone know where I can get them from?
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Re: Rust location. Panel needed but no idea of the name

Post by fordperv »

I am presuming your onabout the part that sits on the inner wing and reinforces where the bumper irons mount to and where the arb corner bracket bolts, Get in touch with quoyloo garage, the chap steads makes the panels by hand and is reasonably priced

Here's his thread on capri power
http://www.capripower.co.uk/forum/index ... e__st__120#
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

The only person that would make repair panels for that area is Trevor Steadman (Steadspeed) up in Orkney

http://www.steadspeedrestorations.epage ... to_gallery

The area is double skinned and the inner wing may well be rotten as well as the reinforcing plate. Most people repair them by cutting out an area around the rust, drilling out the spot welds and removing the section of strengthener before butt welding a repair plate into the inner wing and another on the strengthener, followed by butt and spot welding it back on. It's not a nice job with the wings still on.
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Awesome! Thanks very much chaps. The wings are so it should be easier.
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

Hi I expect you will find the corrission greater in the inside of the inner wing as moisture gets between the external reinforcement plate and rusts through. Any good fabrication shop should be able to cut out and make a bespoke repair section.There are also sleeves that sit internally to the chassis rail to stop it being crushed, make sure these go back in!

ImageIMG_0147 by andrew harwood, on FlickrImageIMG_0576 by andrew harwood, on FlickrImageIMG_0574 by andrew harwood, on Flickr
Hot_Protein
Donator
Donator

Post by Hot_Protein »

Thanks for the pics Andrew. This is a great help.