1.6 laser 10 years left outside!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
FirstCarCapri
Car(s): Capri 1.6 Laser (First Car Commuter)

1.6 laser 10 years left outside!

Post by FirstCarCapri »

Uncles Capri has been left outside for 10 years and I'm thinking about nabbin' it off him for a decent price!

Any tips for things I should look out for? Looks like it has a very small amount of surface rust on the wheel arch and some small spots around the corners of the panels.

Undercarriage/chassis looks rust free too!

Had a recent service but still failing the MOT (I'll be asking him why of course)
Any idea why this may be the case?

Hoping this would be a great long term investment! Would love to hear some thoughts/feedback! :cool:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Re: 1.6 laser 10 years left outside!

Post by timfromull »

Rust, rust and look out for rust.
It may be a good solid base for a project, hard to say without seeing it........ just be aware that small rust bubbles are like icebergs, what you see is only the tip.
If you do take it on then, fantastic...you're among friends here and have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips.
:welcome: and :goodluck:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Oh ......one small thing, have you had an insurance quote?
Us old gits are fine but i believe you youngsters get your pants pulled down when it comes to insurance :spank:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

You say it keeps failing the MOT but we may be better able to advise you if you post what it's failed on or if not let us have the reg number so we can look it up on the government MOT website.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:You say it keeps failing the MOT but we may be better able to advise you if you post what it's failed on or if not let us have the reg number so we can look it up on the government MOT website.
Here's the link just enter the reg number https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/?_ ... 1506666200

Don't always trust MOT Stations with older cars :spank:
Wintersock
Car(s): Ford Capri laser 2.0

Post by Wintersock »

insurance is fine :) I use footmanjames. I got sick of paying 2 grand insurance on a Volvo c30 1.6.. so spent the 2 grand on a Capri and got 150 quid insurance :woot:

Regards
Kieran