2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks guys.
Good to know that.

Does LSD make a lot of difference in real life?

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby sheff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 pm

Noel wrote:I'm not sure there's a huge premium for the specials with the half-leather interior and the LSD, overall condition, bodywork and mileage kind of over-arches things like that.



:agree: Its all about condition and mileage... Unless its a Brookland, then you throw the rule book out of the window.

I think there are more Specials on the road than any of the other models of 2.8, so easier to buy!

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby sheff » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Holeshot wrote:Thanks guys.
Good to know that.

Does LSD make a lot of difference in real life?


Depends how you drive? And easy enough to fit if you want one. Just another thing to go wrong IMO :D

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Posts: 347
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:54 pm
Car(s): 2.8 Injection 1983. Restoring:1979 MGB GT + 1964 Honda 250 twin. Previously owned 2 Capris.

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Not_Anumber » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Ive got an lsd in mine and cant see what the fuss is about. As mine is an early 5 speed 2.8i not a Special Im actually wondering if it would be worth swapping it over for a standard diff instead to be consistent with the way it left the factory.

PaulCalf
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 am
Car(s): Capri 1984 2.8i

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby PaulCalf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Welcome ! I bought my 2.8i just before Xmas (my first Capri) and I’m in my 30s with my first baby on the way - my wife and I have been going through some of the same questions as you seem to be. Not sure I have much to add to some of the much more experienced viewpoints on here but i went through the same ‘is it practical?’ questions as you are asking. The bottom line for me is that no - it’s not the most practical car out there however I use mine regularly, park mine on the front drive without a cover in London (stoploc and immobiliser fitted - but I still look out the window every morning half thinking the old girl will have been lifted by some grubby tea-leaf). Two teens in the back will get very grumbly over anything but a short journey - there’s just not enough room. I weighed it all up in my head before basically deciding I always wanted a Capri and this was prob my last chance before the baby comes and my head starts overruling my heart.... it’s perfectly driveable every day and just the looks you get from people on the road is worth it for the price of admission alone (the sportex exhaust adds to the drama as well!). The one thing I want to do soon is prob change the final drive to the 3:44 found on the 2ltr to improve the acceleration (the guys at tickover are very helpful with advice on this sort of stuff and refreshingly patient with a noob like me who is only starting to get his head around practical car mechanics). Oh and the only major thing I would look to do ASAP is upgrade the front brakes and coils if you’re carrying family in the car- tickover has a good set from Hi-Spec which I’ve got on order and will be fitted soon.

fordperv
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm
Car(s): too many
Location: stoke on trent

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby fordperv » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Holeshot wrote:Does LSD make a lot of difference in real life?


It does ive seen purple dragons and all sorts makes it much easier to get through the day

Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:34 pm

:lol:
If only!!

User avatar
sheff
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1758
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:52 am
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby sheff » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:32 pm

PaulCalf wrote:Oh and the only major thing I would look to do ASAP is upgrade the front brakes and coils if you’re carrying family in the car- tickover has a good set from Hi-Spec which I’ve got on order and will be fitted soon.


A good upgrade... I have the slightly firmer 1" lower springs from Tickover. The ride is not compromised, however the handling is improved.

I found the Hi-Spec brakes better than standard, but I think mine need more bedding in before I'll see a big improvement.

Image

caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:02 pm
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby caprikid61 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 am

I have a 2 litre laser I have owned for over 10 years I drive her every day she done 10.000 miles last year !! Never missed a beat . The only problem I had was the old points system she was burning out condensors it just seems like the modern ones didnt last any time so I fitted electronic ignition over 2 years ago (20.000) and have had no problems since .

Before I owned the capri I had a bmw that was on the back of the AA truck more than it was on the road !! It was always having problems of some sort . I decided enough was enough and got a capri and she has never once left me stranded plus 9 out of 10 time with a capri you can get them going at the roadside without having to get a comuter check done to find the problem then having to fork out a fortune on a sensor !!

For me getting a capri was the best thing I ever did as long as you change the oil every 4.000 miles or so and keep on top of any small problems tha come up she will keep going . I am a big fan of the pinto engine I find them to be pretty bulletproof never been brave enough to try a v6 as to me they are more complex and a bit harder to work on .

If I was you I would go for it because driving a capri is a great feeling I look forward to getting up for work every morning knowing that I am driving my capri , I do think a capri is for driving !! I am 57 and honestly think that my capri will be the last car I own cant ever see me going for anything else . Cheers Alex

Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 pm

caprikid61 wrote:I have a 2 litre laser I have owned for over 10 years I drive her every day she done 10.000 miles last year !! Never missed a beat . The only problem I had was the old points system she was burning out condensors it just seems like the modern ones didnt last any time so I fitted electronic ignition over 2 years ago (20.000) and have had no problems since .

Before I owned the capri I had a bmw that was on the back of the AA truck more than it was on the road !! It was always having problems of some sort . I decided enough was enough and got a capri and she has never once left me stranded plus 9 out of 10 time with a capri you can get them going at the roadside without having to get a comuter check done to find the problem then having to fork out a fortune on a sensor !!

For me getting a capri was the best thing I ever did as long as you change the oil every 4.000 miles or so and keep on top of any small problems tha come up she will keep going . I am a big fan of the pinto engine I find them to be pretty bulletproof never been brave enough to try a v6 as to me they are more complex and a bit harder to work on .

If I was you I would go for it because driving a capri is a great feeling I look forward to getting up for work every morning knowing that I am driving my capri , I do think a capri is for driving !! I am 57 and honestly think that my capri will be the last car I own cant ever see me going for anything else . Cheers Alex

That’s ace Caprikid61. Think we’re the same age mate.
Thanks for the encouragement and info- really appreciated.
Nothing like getting a buzz every time you walk away from/get into your motor is there?!
Long may it continue.
Thanks :)

Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm

PaulCalf wrote:Welcome ! I bought my 2.8i just before Xmas (my first Capri) and I’m in my 30s with my first baby on the way - my wife and I have been going through some of the same questions as you seem to be. Not sure I have much to add to some of the much more experienced viewpoints on here but i went through the same ‘is it practical?’ questions as you are asking. The bottom line for me is that no - it’s not the most practical car out there however I use mine regularly, park mine on the front drive without a cover in London (stoploc and immobiliser fitted - but I still look out the window every morning half thinking the old girl will have been lifted by some grubby tea-leaf). Two teens in the back will get very grumbly over anything but a short journey - there’s just not enough room. I weighed it all up in my head before basically deciding I always wanted a Capri and this was prob my last chance before the baby comes and my head starts overruling my heart.... it’s perfectly driveable every day and just the looks you get from people on the road is worth it for the price of admission alone (the sportex exhaust adds to the drama as well!). The one thing I want to do soon is prob change the final drive to the 3:44 found on the 2ltr to improve the acceleration (the guys at tickover are very helpful with advice on this sort of stuff and refreshingly patient with a noob like me who is only starting to get his head around practical car mechanics). Oh and the only major thing I would look to do ASAP is upgrade the front brakes and coils if you’re carrying family in the car- tickover has a good set from Hi-Spec which I’ve got on order and will be fitted soon.


Great stuff.... has the little one arrived yet??
The worst time is having to use the rear-facing baby seats. Those monsters are so much room: even SUVs struggle with them! Good luck - time will fly and you’ll be on booster seats before you know it!
What part of London are you in.
Also, which 2.8 did you get?
Sounds like Tickover will become a familar destination for me. Very local and sound like a great outfit.
Thanks for all the advice and hope to hear more of you upgrades on the family car :)
Cheers, Hilton

PaulCalf
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 am
Car(s): Capri 1984 2.8i

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby PaulCalf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 pm

hey Hilton

I got a late 2.8i - not a special. I saw quite a few specials actually but decided the extra bit of money wasn’t worth it for me and wasn’t fussed about the lsd or half leather seats - and also I wanted the look of the black front grill, not colour coded. (Plan is actually to put a black mk2 grill on it). I’m in w london and and Little one due in August !

And yes the Tick brothers are great - I drove down there last month on way to Lepsons (great place to get wheels refurbed FYI) and took a look round their workshop - they’ve got capris all over the place. Would def recommend them for advice.

Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 pm

PaulCalf wrote:hey Hilton

I got a late 2.8i - not a special. I saw quite a few specials actually but decided the extra bit of money wasn’t worth it for me and wasn’t fussed about the lsd or half leather seats - and also I wanted the look of the black front grill, not colour coded. (Plan is actually to put a black mk2 grill on it). I’m in w london and and Little one due in August !

And yes the Tick brothers are great - I drove down there last month on way to Lepsons (great place to get wheels refurbed FYI) and took a look round their workshop - they’ve got capris all over the place. Would def recommend them for advice.


Great stuff PC,
That's a coincidence.... through all the above forum help, I've narrowed my search down and will be going to view a pre-Special 2.8(is there a name for them?) as I really like the Pepperpots/2-Tone colour combo (also like the black grille too!)
Your'e the other side of town to me, but if you're going to Tickover, why not drop in to Lewisham for a cuppa as it's almost directly on the way (I'm on the A20)....or we could go in convoy to Dartford :drive:
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a stalker!! :shock:

Good luck with the due-date. Make sure you sort the car out now as your mind will be on other things for a while after!


Cheers, Hilton.

Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Update time....

As above post suggests, I'm off to have a look at a nice 5 speed pre-'Special' with 2 tone paint scheme tomorrow.
It may be known to members here, I'm not sure, but the guy's a real enthusiast and bought it from someone who had a few others too.
80k miles and looks very un-messed around with.

Got some photos but can't figure out how to upload them here, sorry.....any clues??

PaulCalf
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:17 am
Car(s): Capri 1984 2.8i

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby PaulCalf » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 pm

I like that Capri convoy idea Hilton! - will let you know when I plan my next trip East (I love heading into Essex/Kent with the car - feels like I'm taking it home... (although I realise Cologne is 400miles to the east of Dagenham) Also I'll take some pics of mine over weekend and post somewhere (once i figure out how to upload them! digital I am not...). I was actually flicking through the Haynes manual last night and the example photo they have in the first few pages looks like mine -hard to tell as it's B&W but blue and grey two-tone with pepperpots.

Speaking of wheels - it feels like there should be a thread on here for pics of what wheels with what tires - although I'm prob more of a traditionalist when it comes to that sort of stuff, I'd really like to see what other people have got on for inspiration for possible future changes - had a quick search and there doesn't seem to be a thread like this? Unless I'm missing it?

Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:34 pm

tejb1 wrote:At present the ULEZ is in the congestion charge zone only, during operating hours. You'd need to be slightly insane anyway to drive in that area in the middle of the week!

There is talk of expansion in 2019. Are you inside the South Circ? Vehicles over 40 years old are, however, exempt.


Here's a point. Could be a bit of a problem......
Just double checked and although a Capri would be OK in the LEZ/T-Charge at the moment, it won't be able to go in the ULEZ next year without a fine.
I'm relatively OK with this as I never really go into the centre of London by car anyway.
However, they are 'proposing' (which generally means they WILL) to widen it, as tejb1 says above, to inside the South/North Circulars.
Then I would be fined just for driving to the end one my road. This applies to any classics, even 40+ yr old ones (have just checked my '73 Jag).

I'm wondering what to do now, as this implies that in 3 years time, I'll have to sell up if I'm intending to use it every day.

Sorry Sadiq Khan, but you're a :wank:
Last edited by Holeshot on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:09 pm

PaulCalf wrote:I like that Capri convoy idea Hilton! - will let you know when I plan my next trip East (I love heading into Essex/Kent with the car - feels like I'm taking it home... (although I realise Cologne is 400miles to the east of Dagenham) Also I'll take some pics of mine over weekend and post somewhere (once i figure out how to upload them! digital I am not...). I was actually flicking through the Haynes manual last night and the example photo they have in the first few pages looks like mine -hard to tell as it's B&W but blue and grey two-tone with pepperpots.


Ace! - do let me know when you're heading East....I'll put the kettle on!
Hope you mange to post some photos too - look forward to seeing them :D

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 5072
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby pbar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Holeshot wrote:
Got some photos but can't figure out how to upload them here, sorry.....any clues??


Here you go -

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=51474&p=352880&hilit=posting+pics#p352880

Holeshot
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Car(s): E-Type SIII 2+2 - High days/holidays
Mini Cooper S (new style, sorry) - Daily driver
Various old bikes
Location: Lewisham, S.E. London

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby Holeshot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Holeshot wrote:Update time....

As above post suggests, I'm off to have a look at a nice 5 speed pre-'Special' with 2 tone paint scheme tomorrow.
It may be known to members here, I'm not sure, but the guy's a real enthusiast and bought it from someone who had a few others too.
80k miles and looks very un-messed around with.

Got some photos but can't figure out how to upload them here, sorry.....any clues??


Thanks pbar, even I managed to understand that. Here are some pics.....

Just one thing - the owner mentioned that when he had the front wheel off, he noticed it has braided brake lines and then something about vented/grooved discs - I wonder whether it may have had a Hi-Spec kit on it? Only when I looked on Tickover's site that I realised that Vented discs weren't standard. Will check tomorrow. Be nice if it had a brake upgrade already fitted.

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 5098
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1984 2.8 Injection
Location: Devon

Re: 2.8i as a family car/daily driver?

Postby andyd » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:19 pm

That looks good and it has Janspeeds so it will sound great too :D

MOT History;

A470BNU FORD CAPRI

Colour Blue
Fuel type Petrol
Date registered 1 August 1983
MOT valid until 4 August 2018

Mileage recorded at test, parts failed or had minor problems
Date tested 5 August 2017
Pass
Mileage 80,257 miles
MOT test number 3431 4155 6608
Test location unavailable until further notice
Expiry date 4 August 2018
Date tested 5 August 2016
Pass
Mileage 79,499 miles
MOT test number 9636 3944 3690
Test location unavailable until further notice
Expiry date 4 August 2017
Advisory notice item(s)

Nearside Front coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Offside Front coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)

What are advisories?
Date tested 6 July 2015
Pass
Mileage 77,844 miles
MOT test number 9978 8718 5194
Test location unavailable until further notice
Expiry date 10 July 2016
Advisory notice item(s)

coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (7.1.2)

What are advisories?
Date tested 11 July 2014
Pass
Mileage 76,544 miles
MOT test number 6062 3289 4194
Test location unavailable until further notice
Expiry date 10 July 2015
Advisory notice item(s)

offside washer slightly weak
rear bumper missing