Rear light wiring problem

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
MOTHPRINCE78
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.0 LASER (DAILY DRIVER)
AIM TO MAKE HER ONE BAD B*TCH

Rear light wiring problem

Post by MOTHPRINCE78 »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have a mk3 laser. Realised my rear tail light stopped working, so I assumed it was a bulb that had blown, after replacing the bulb. Still not working. Check the fuses they are fine, so I’m assuming it is a wiring problem, maybe some corrosion on the wire somewhere...

Is this easy to fix?
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Rear light wiring problem

Post by Peter-S »

MOTHPRINCE78 wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have a mk3 laser. Realised my rear tail light stopped working, so I assumed it was a bulb that had blown, after replacing the bulb. Still not working. Check the fuses they are fine, so I’m assuming it is a wiring problem, maybe some corrosion on the wire somewhere...

Is this easy to fix?
Make sure the replacement bulb is good, just in case. Try it in the working side.
It might just be corrosion on the contacts so trying cleaning them gently with a little wire wool. Sometimes the rear sprung contact just needs pulling forwards gently to make a firmer contact.
If this basic stuff doesn't help you need to establish if you have power at the light unit when the switch is on. Do you have any sort of test meter?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I recently had the same problem and was the fuse box; I cleaned up all the contacts on the fuse box itself and was the wire coming off of fuse 1 that was the issue...

As Peter said if you have a multimeter it's very helpful in testing what points are working and aren't to help narrow it down
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
MOTHPRINCE78
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.0 LASER (DAILY DRIVER)
AIM TO MAKE HER ONE BAD B*TCH

Post by MOTHPRINCE78 »

Thanks guys! I’ll give the above a go :)
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Corroded contacts in the light unit?

Cracked unit due to the two mounting screws being done up too tight? Lights earth through those screws so can cause loads of issues.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Bug wrote:Corroded contacts in the light unit?

Cracked unit due to the two mounting screws being done up too tight? Lights earth through those screws so can cause loads of issues.
Did you get this sorted?

Don't mind answering people's questions, but it does get a bit frustrating when you never hear what the solution turned out to be.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I have the exact same problem, so I was wondering if this got fixed too. I'm useless with electrics, don't know how to work a multimeter and much rather avoid doing anything in this cold if it's not going to help anyway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:I have the exact same problem, so I was wondering if this got fixed too. I'm useless with electrics, don't know how to work a multimeter and much rather avoid doing anything in this cold if it's not going to help anyway.
To be fair, one of the main reasons that things like this go wrong at once is usually either the wire off of fuse 1 into the loom (tiny bit of wire, should be quite clear if something is wrong with it) or the silver casing itself could be cracked and there isn't a way that I've heard of that you can multi-meter it to check if it's broken or not?

Might be worth picking one up and trying it, they're relatively inexpensive as they aren't reproduced only the original parts from cars that break, think I paid £20-30 or something??
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Ok 1970's, 80's and 90's Ford rear light clusters, all vehicles from Transits to Fiestas, 95% of problems are down to poor earth connections. Some like Capris earth through the mounting screws which is a particularly dumb idea imho. Some have wires bolted to some inaccessible place onb the body which corodes and fails. In any case, make a good, secure connection between the earth bar in the cluster and the car body no more than 30cm away and most problems (including other lights flashing when you put the indicators on) will simply disappear. Dont' bother messing around with fuses or multimeters until you have done this.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I fixed my issue today and it was a combination of a bad earth, and the zinc plated housings rusting away. As the screw that holds everything in go in they are supposed to make contact via some washers to the housings. There's two rings on each side and these are corroding away, so I'd imagine this will only be a temporary fix but it's definitely an earthing issue and mine are working again for now.