Electric Fan Installation

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Toxcity
Car(s): 2015 Abarth 595 Competizione, 2004 Smart Roadster, 1983 Ford Capri LS 1600

Electric Fan Installation

Post by Toxcity »

Hi guys - it's been a while!

This has been asked a million times, I know... I've been through every post. I'm wanting to get shot of the viscous fan. It's currently a fan I've nicked from a Land Rover and is oversized and probably sapping a few ponies. I also like the idea of having lots of space around the timing cover etc.

How do people generally wires these up? And where do you get your 12v feed from? I want to get a thermostat to control it, don't trust myself to manually switch it on/off.

First battle is getting the old fan off... I'm going to try the screw driver & hammer trick. ;)

Cheers!
Nic
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Electric Fan Installation

Post by Caprigear »

I've done a couple in 2.8i's by fitting an adapter into the bottom tank of the radiator and wiring up the fan via a Ford Focus fan switch screwed into the adapter.
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Measure the internal diameter of your radiator hose and get one of these to control it

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stoney-Racing- ... SwUH5aUJym

Just search universal fan switch on ebay

Avoid the ones with the copper pipe that get sandwiched in the pipe with the junilee clip that are adjustable look like a cooker knob, they are utter shite
Toxcity
Car(s): 2015 Abarth 595 Competizione, 2004 Smart Roadster, 1983 Ford Capri LS 1600

Post by Toxcity »

Thanks for the heads up! Deffo worth looking into. I was tidying up the loom of the car last night figuring a good place to nick 12v. I removed a aux light which was connected to the second fuse prong from the back of the car. This could be where I nick my 12v (assuming it's switched). :)
Toxcity

Post by Toxcity »

Does anyone know what the inner diameter of the top coolant hose is (Pinto)? I'm looking for the right size thermostat.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Toxcity wrote:Does anyone know what the inner diameter of the top coolant hose is (Pinto)? I'm looking for the right size thermostat.
I think it's a 32 mm Nic. Here's a couple off the bay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32MM-HOSE-AD ... Sw2xRYUq1D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stoney-Racin ... SwUH5aUJym

With the second one it says in the description that the 100c switch is right for the 82c thermostat.

I'd think about using a relay in your wiring, dependant on how big and powerful a fan you intend to use. The second fan switch says it comes with wiring diagrams.
Toxcity

Post by Toxcity »

Hi Paul! Hope you're well.

Brilliant, 32mm it is. On at 100oC that seems a little late? What would be the down side of going for the on at 90oC? I think I'd like to keep the coolant temp below boiling point if possible. Saying that... I was never aware of what the temp was with the viscous fan.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Toxcity wrote:Hi Paul! Hope you're well.

Brilliant, 32mm it is. On at 100oC that seems a little late? What would be the down side of going for the on at 90oC? I think I'd like to keep the coolant temp below boiling point if possible. Saying that... I was never aware of what the temp was with the viscous fan.
When the cooling system is pressurised the coolant can be up to 112 - 115c due to being pressurised. The pressurisation raises the boiling point.
Most modern in - radiator fan switches are around 97c upwards.

Here's a link to a Fiesta one and as you can see in the description the operating range is 103 down to 98c.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temperature- ... SwnbZYECjX
Toxcity

Post by Toxcity »

Righto, 100oC it is! :) I guess I don't want the fan running too often if it doesn't need to.