Surface rust & brake warning light

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Surface rust & brake warning light

Post by tejb1 »

Hi all,

Two completely separate questions, linked only by them happening at the same time!

First off - I meant to treat a small amount of surface rust around the rear valance back in early October, by abrading back to clean metal and using Krust, priming and painting. I never got around to doing it and as we're in winter now any painting I do will doubtless be ruined by the moisture in the air? Is it better to leave it until the weather gets better, as I worry if I did it now it'd just trap moisture inside and carry on rotting. I know someone who used to spray old oil or WD40 on rusty bits until they got around to fixing them... is that any use or foolish?!

Second - brake warning light on the dashboard, the one which warns when the handbrake is on or brake fluid is low. It hasn't worked in the 18 months I've had the car. I've tested both the handbrake switch and the brake fluid level switch with a meter and both behave correctly. Took off the lower dash and changed the lamp, sprayed contact cleaner, still nothing. The only thing I can think of left is that there's an issue with the dash circuit board itself, possibly a dry joint or something? I'm thinking in a couple of weeks when I have some time off work, taking the dash apart and getting the circuit board out to check. Any other thoughts welcomed though!

PS Andrew28i I completely forgot about taking some photos that you mentioned in my previous thread... will try to do so tomorrow if the rain isn't too awful!

cheers
r2vdh
Car(s): 2.8EFI Turbo special with LPG

Re: Surface rust & brake warning light

Post by r2vdh »

If the is stored and not used you can grease the surface to prevent the air reacting with iron in the metal oxidising.

2nd issue the bulb blown or the printed curcuit connection to the bulb holder can be a problem.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

tejb1 wrote:I know someone who used to spray old oil or WD40 on rusty bits until they got around to fixing them.
Yes WD-40 definitely works. If you see rusty bits coming through douse them in WD. Just dab it with a cloth after spraying (a WD-40 soaked cloth works wonders for cleaning too), as you don't really want it running everywhere although it won't do any harm. Just make sure you leave a residue of it on there and it will help to protect it, it's great for it.

I've had brackets in the garage which where showing rusty spots and after doing the above the rust actually disappeared. I've also seen it turn the rust into a different colour, more black-ish, similar to some rust convertors.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

pbar wrote:
tejb1 wrote:I know someone who used to spray old oil or WD40 on rusty bits until they got around to fixing them.
Yes WD-40 definitely works. If you see rusty bits coming through douse them in WD. Just dab it with a cloth after spraying (a WD-40 soaked cloth works wonders for cleaning too), as you don't really want it running everywhere although it won't do any harm. Just make sure you leave a residue of it on there and it will help to protect it, it's great for it.

I've had brackets in the garage which where showing rusty spots and after doing the above the rust actually disappeared. I've also seen it turn the rust into a different colour, more black-ish, similar to some rust convertors.
Thanks. My theory was I could then in April time pressure-wash the whole underside and do it properly.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I buy it like this now, it's cheaper this way and lasts for a good while.

Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote:I buy it like this now, it's cheaper this way and lasts for a good while.

So do I, It just seems that the WD40 lasts longer than the trigger sprayer!
pbar

Post by pbar »

I tend to save all of the trigger sprays (kitchen cleaner, window cleaner, weed killer, etc.) and wash them out and keep them. Come in very useful!