Inner wing mudshields

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Inner wing mudshields

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, I'm thinking of installing some inner wing mud shields on my '84 LS. Will I need to make holes in the wings to get the fixings for the mud shields or do the line up with current holes/clip on?

Haven't looked at the inner wings in detail recently and have just had this fleeting thought, so forgive me if it is a stupid one.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Inner wing mudshields

Post by Paul G »

The inner mud shields come with threaded holes that bolt through where the bracket is behind the wheels that secures the wing to the inner arch. The securing brackets need removing (can be a pig as the blts are usually rusted in) and then mudsheilds fit in and bolt in these holes. You will then need to drill a couple of screw holes on the little tags that stick out where the inner arch meets the side panel and screw a couple of self tappers in.

The mudshields need a rubber seal around where they meet the inside of the wing and may need trimming a bit to get a good fit.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Huh , mine has these shields ..... I thought they all did ..... maybe not :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Post by Jim »

Paul G wrote:The inner mud shields come with threaded holes that bolt through where the bracket is behind the wheels that secures the wing to the inner arch. The securing brackets need removing (can be a pig as the blts are usually rusted in) and then mudsheilds fit in and bolt in these holes. You will then need to drill a couple of screw holes on the little tags that stick out where the inner arch meets the side panel and screw a couple of self tappers in.

The mudshields need a rubber seal around where they meet the inside of the wing and may need trimming a bit to get a good fit.
Many thanks for the above info Paul, much appreciated.
Mc Tool wrote:Huh , mine has these shields ..... I thought they all did ..... maybe not :)
It's my understanding that only later Laser's and 2.8's had them installed as standard?
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

2.8 Spec to reduce road noise from the wider tyres fitted to them.
Easy to make from a bit of tin sheet & old door/boot rubber seal.
No need to fix to the outer wing if secured well inboard.