A decent coil

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

A decent coil

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, can anyone recommend a decent new coil? Still running the original one and I'm currently anticipating it giving up the chase just like what happened to my buddy's car. I've tried Intermotor in the past...but they were crap and caused me a ton of trouble. Are there any other brands that are decent? Many thanks in advance.

PS I've bought a new Bosch one but the terminals on the top are different and my connections as of current will not fit without modification which I ideally want to avoid.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: A decent coil

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Jim,
You don't say if you're experiencing issues, but if you're not, why change the coil?

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jim wrote:I've tried Intermotor in the past...but they were crap and caused me a ton of trouble.
Same here Jim, the brand new Intermotor one I have would make the car randomly cut out. Put the old one back on and no problems since. Sorry that's not much help but I second your Intermotor coil thoughts!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I agree about Intermotor not being the quality that they used to be. My laser has a Lucas DLB 102 on it which seems fine and contrary to some people's experiences i've not seen a lot of problems with Lucas coils. It keeps the standard terminals too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Luca ... OSwux5YLuS~

NGK make coils as well which ought to be OK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-NGK-Igni ... SwgkRVTQoy

James, I'd go with what others have said and leave your existing one on if it's been OK but perhaps keep a spare in the boot just in case.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I have other Intermotor parts, such as points, which have always been great, just that coil I had trouble with!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote:I have other Intermotor parts, such as points, which have always been great, just that coil I had trouble with!
I've had bother with their condensers, mainly on BL and other makes of cars though.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

I would keep your original on the car, but carry the Bosch as a spare.
It would be a simple task to make up a short length of loom with the car connectors on one end and the Bosch ones on the other. Fit that to the Bosch coil and then all you have to do is plug your car loom into the new ends.
Proper car loom tape would make a neat job.
Just be sure to either make all the wires different colours or label them clearly and securely.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Would help to know if your running points or some electronic unit :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Post by Jim »

Many thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated.

Think I'm going to buy one of those Lucas coils, as Paul G has suggested, as a back up as I can pick one up easily from a nearby motor factors and can therefore easily return it if it plays up like the intermotor one. I'll run it for a bit to make sure it doesn't give any grief.

I'll keep the new Bosch one as a second spare and make some loom up for it when I get time.