Indicators not working

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Tosh 72
Car(s): 2.8 injection

Indicators not working

Post by Tosh 72 »

Hi can anyone please advise me my indicators have stopped working on my 2.8i,ihave checked the seven main fuses in the engine compartment and have changed the relay but still no joy,also when i put the hazards on the light just stays on no flashing.i have checked with a multi meter and power is getting to the relay but im getting no power to the indicator bulb holders.If anyone has any ideas it would be very much appreciated.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Re: Indicators not working

Post by Bug »

Could actually be a fault in the hazard switch. The switches have a tendency to pull apart, especially if the dash panel is lowered, as they are hard to relocate properly.
Try lowering the dash to see if it cures it, as sometimes the wires get bent up and the connections can be dodgy.
Failing that, try to swap it for a known good one to see if that fixes it.
Tosh 72

Post by Tosh 72 »

Ok thank you ill give that a try tommorow
Tosh 72

Post by Tosh 72 »

ive checked out the hazard switch and that seems to be fine,im completly baffled by this and really cant think of anything else to check :banghead:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Have you changed the flasher relay for the correct one? the numbers on the terminals need to be the same as the original relay.
Tosh 72

Post by Tosh 72 »

Yes its exactly the same as the one i took off and i even checked the old one with a multi meter and it works i just changed them over as i had one spare and didnt want to leave any stone unterned,thanks for your reply.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Which power are you confirming at the relay?
The constant live that is waiting to be sent to the light by the relay, or the signal power feed from the switch?
Need to know which so we can see how far through the system things are working.

Did you try lowering the hazard switch and straightening the loom? It gets jammed up inside the dash instead of feeding through the hole properly.

What about the indicator stalk? Tried wiggling it? Does it work with main beam selected? The stalks can often fail in a few different ways.
Tosh 72

Post by Tosh 72 »

I put the multimeter across two terminals on the relay then i turned on the ignition and got a breief reading so i know the switch is working in the relay.i will give the other things you said a try tommorow fingers crossed it might sort it ill give you an update,thanks again for all your help.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Kinda grasping at straws really, but let's hope it points you in the right direction
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I copied this from Google images, thanks to Alan Brown (Clockwork Orange) and it may help tracing the problem.

it seems all the indicator circuits are fed through the Hazard switch with the red wire being a permanent live from fuse 1 and an ignition position 2 wire which is black and fed from fuse 7. The red wire (permanent live) powers the warning light on the hazard switch and all the hazards when the ignition is off.

From personal experience I would revisit the condition of the hazard switch and the flasher unit and check that there is continuity to earth from the brown wire on the flasher unit connector. I have had problems with poor earths on flasher units but generally the old lucas types which earth through their mounting on a body panel.

Generally, but not always, indicator stalks start to fail with perhaps one side of the indicators not working. My laser was like that.

Hope some of this helps.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
For future reference, there are more helpful wiring diagrams covering all aspects of the Mk3 wiring available to view on the Capri Club Scotland website.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/ccscotl ... xvd1o-cE5s

Andrew.
Tosh 72

Post by Tosh 72 »

Thanks everyone for all your help ill continue trying to solve it from tomorrow.Happy new year all.