What is this on my air filter!

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Wintersock
Car(s): Ford Capri laser 2.0

What is this on my air filter!

Post by Wintersock »

Can any one help. What is this on my air filter? It's got power and it's got a sensor inside. It's like a mass air flow :?

https://ibb.co/eNB4h6
https://ibb.co/nNf3aR

Thanks
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: What is this on my air filter!

Post by Paul G »

It's a vacuum controlled flap that if the ambient outside temperature is cold will divert the air intake to take air in from the corrigated pipe that comes off the exhaust manifold. There is a thermostatic valve inside the air filter housing that controls it. The reason for this is that when it is cold ice particles can form in the carburettor and cause blockages which can make the engine lose power or even stop. Drawing in the heated air off the manifold stops this.

Cars run better on coldish air so when it is not freezing the flap will revert to letting ambient air in from the front of the air filter tube. Make sure all your vacuum pipes are in good condition and connected properly.

In the "old days" most air filters had a lever on them and this had to be set at a summer or winter setting to divert the air from the correct place.

One drawback of fitting aftermarket air filters is that with most you loose the ability to have warm air going into the engine and run the risk of carb icing in cold weather - personally I'd keep the original housing and just fit a K&N filter element.
Wintersock

Post by Wintersock »

What an amazing response :cheers: .

On other cars I've seen it has a pipe which you adjust accordingly, I've personally not seen this electronic set up before. ( Car was built before I was born and this is my first carbed car :).. I'm just trying to keep up with my dad and accompany him to shows :) plus it's a bonus Capri's look bloody awesome!

My next question would have been, does anyone know any decent aftermarket air filters for a Webber 34. But you've answered that too :) I'll scope out a round k&n and keep this set up.

Thanks again for the response.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

it's not electronically operated, it works via vacuum pipes which come off the inlet manual.

This is the type of air filter element I meant.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-HIGH-FLO ... SwbkJZcMrC

Are you sure your car's a 2.0? The 34 carb and this type of air filter were only fitted on 1.6 litres.
Wintersock

Post by Wintersock »

Yeah. It had a 2.0 pinto dropped in around 10k ago supplied by Capri club. Its was a 1.6 they changed the gear box to 5 gear and engine to 2.0. Guess they didn't bother with the carb. Out of interest what carb should the 2.0 pinto be running?
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

2 litre should have a 32/36 twin choke DGAV carb. You would need to change the manifold, carb, coolant hoses, throttle linkages and air filter to fit this.

The 34 ICH you have now is not the original carb - the 1.6 and 2.0 Transit engines originally had a Ford's own thing called the VV (Variable Venturi). This was a PITA and most were changed to the 34 ICH in an off the shelf conversion kit. They're not a bad little carb and quite reliable but the DGAV will release a few more BHP in a 2.0.
Wintersock

Post by Wintersock »

Thanks very much Paul, might look at changing it next year at some point. I'm guessing the 32/36 twin choke DGAV carb will produce more power?

The car it's self runs absolutly spot on. Did a 350 mile drive home picking her up just over a month ago and starts on half a turn, Every time... which for a old fold engine I'm absolutely shocked lol.

Might not be worth the change unless there's alot more gain from the engine?
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

My motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I've seen so many cases over the years where people have said I'll just do this or I'll just do that and turned a perfectly good car into a pile of crap!

Fitting the DGAV will give you about 10-12 BHP more.
Wintersock

Post by Wintersock »

Yeah not worth it, i'll stick to your Moto :) Thanks Paul, you've helped alot.