Steering coupling rubber bush split ( can I still drive? )

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Steering coupling rubber bush split ( can I still drive? )

Post by caprikid61 »

Hi folks I noticed my capri was wondering a bit so I had a look today and found that the rubber bush which is part of the steering coupling that goes to the rack has split in half !! I have attached a photo I am thinking that it will be ok to drive until the new coupling comes as the bolts that go through the rubber should hold it all together if the rubber bush is knackerd . What do you all think ?? Cheers Alex
QuadCamCapri
Car(s): Capri 'Classic Thundersaloon'
5.0 32V Cobra V8 and E34 Touring

Re: Steering coupling rubber bush split ( can I still drive? )

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Looking at that pic. I would say you've had a lucky escape, certainly don't drive it again.

Also looks to me like it's been assembled wrong as well, which would have left you with no steering if the last bit of rubber broke. The metal loop is in the wrong place.
My in-car race video Cadwell Park 1995 Capri V6 vs 2x V8's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSBcLhI ... gvD3_PeHIA
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I'm with Simon, you don't want to be taking that anywhere.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

As the others have said, that is lethal like that. If you don't want to buy a complete shaft this company sells replacement couplings. I've no idea what they're like but would get you out of trouble for less than a steering shaft.

http://carpartsbypost.co.uk/24-buy-stee ... plied.html
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I've got loads of good complete steering shafts available.
rafcapri
Car(s): Ford Capri 1600XL 1974

Post by rafcapri »

Just did the replacement of the coupling myself a month ago, mine didn't look as bad as yours but I was told many times not to drive the car till that is sorted.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Blimey! It's surprising that you didn't you notice that sooner.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

What really surprizes me is that you have to ask
Look at it !FFS :doh:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Deleted my comment as it served no purpose other than to show I'd had a bit too much to drink at the time

Apologies all round
Last edited by Bug on Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

In view of your uncertainty about this steering coupling would it be a good idea to book your car in with a skilled mechanic for him or her to give the whole car a good safety check?

This to me just shows why they should not be abolishing MOT's for 40+ year old cars.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

So whilst some of us might be a little surprised at the question he has actually noticed a problem in the feel of the car, looked under the bonnet and asked for an opinion on what has been found so I'm not sure the insults are really necessary. Obviously not many people have found the Christmas spirit yet!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Saying that Pete i phoned my mother in law at 3.30am this morning to remind her of my Xmas present on Boxing Day , yes you have guessed it she told me to “#### off” shes just not got the Xmas sprit .

Hope you get your Capri sorted ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Peter-S wrote:So whilst some of us might be a little surprised at the question he has actually noticed a problem in the feel of the car, looked under the bonnet and asked for an opinion on what has been found so I'm not sure the insults are really necessary.
Well said Peter. Be too hard on our younger members and they won't be members for long.

Is there any reason why its made of rubber?! It's one of the few things on the Capri that I am actually scared of.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

Lol come on guys give me a break !! I guess you all thought I had asked a silly question but in fact it was not a silly as it seemed . I noticed the problem and thought I might manage to drive 2 miles to my lock up to change the part as I have all my tools at the lock up so it would have been much easier .

There are 4 bolts that go through the rubber and 2 of them seem to be holding it all together but after I went to have another look I tried twisting the whole coupling to see how much play there was I found that there was no way I could drive the car anywhere not even 2 miles!!

I have fitted the new coupling now so she is up and running again I do all the work on the car and have done for many years in the last few months I have fitted a water pump , electronic ignition , and a new dizzy . I guess I should have spotted the knackerd Steering coupling sooner but for some reason I never noticed it .

I still think that its not a geat idea having that rubber part on the steering coupling so you can rest assured I will be keeping an eye on it in the future !! and would suggest any capri owners do the same .
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

caprikid61 wrote:Lol come on guys give me a break !! I guess you all thought I had asked a silly question but in fact it was not a silly as it seemed . I noticed the problem and thought I might manage to drive 2 miles to my lock up to change the part as I have all my tools at the lock up so it would have been much easier .

There are 4 bolts that go through the rubber and 2 of them seem to be holding it all together but after I went to have another look I tried twisting the whole coupling to see how much play there was I found that there was no way I could drive the car anywhere not even 2 miles!!

I have fitted the new coupling now so she is up and running again I do all the work on the car and have done for many years in the last few months I have fitted a water pump , electronic ignition , and a new dizzy . I guess I should have spotted the knackerd Steering coupling sooner but for some reason I never noticed it .

I still think that its not a geat idea having that rubber part on the steering coupling so you can rest assured I will be keeping an eye on it in the future !! and would suggest any capri owners do the same .
I'm sorry if what I said seemed harsh, no offence intended. I stand by what I said about 40+ cars being exempted from the MOT though, there's plenty of owners out there of all types of cars who don't know safe from unsafe.

Glad you've got it fixed.

Paul.
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Glad you've sorted it, did you change the whole coupling or just the rubber. If just the rubber did you move the loop to it's correct position ?

In the right place it gives enough steering to hopefully stop safely if the rubber broke completely by trapping the longer upper part of the coupling in the loop. In your pic where it's in the wrong place you would've had no steering if rubber broke completely, as the UJ would have allowed the upper part to drop away.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

I'm sorry if what I said seemed harsh, no offence intended. I stand by what I said about 40+ cars being exempted from the MOT though, there's plenty of owners out there of all types of cars who don't know safe from unsafe.

Glad you've got it fixed.

Paul.[/quote]

Its ok no offence taken , and I aggree with your point about mot's as you are spot on , an mot is the only way to make sure that older cars all stay in a roadworthy condition .
caprikid61
Donator
Donator

Post by caprikid61 »

QuadCamCapri wrote:Glad you've sorted it, did you change the whole coupling or just the rubber. If just the rubber did you move the loop to it's correct position ?

In the right place it gives enough steering to hopefully stop safely if the rubber broke completely by trapping the longer upper part of the coupling in the loop. In your pic where it's in the wrong place you would've had no steering if rubber broke completely, as the UJ would have allowed the upper part to drop away.
Thanks , I changed the whole coupling as it seemed like the safest option but the new coupling dosent have the loop so just going to make sure I keep an eye on it and watch out for wear . Dont you think its strange that the couplings we buy from cci and tickover dont have the loops though ? . Cheers Alex
QuadCamCapri

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Does seem like a backward step leaving the loop off, especially as like Paul says the lack of a compulsory MOT for 40+ year old cars is coming in soon.

It's exactly the sort of thing owners are going to need to keep a check on, and sometimes the rubber can look ok but still have a lot of play. Easiest way to check this is get someone to turn steering wheel while the owner looks at the coupling, also look for any movement of the rack while under there as the bushes (not PAS) get forgotten about. Seen a rack move side to side on the crossmember by 1/2" :shock: