Mk3 headlamps

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Rosco59
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0s Restoration project

Mk3 headlamps

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi I’ve got mk3 Capri lights fitted in a mk3 cortina. The problem is the side lights and dipped beam work fine but when on full beam the inner light goes on as it should but cancels out the outer dipped beam and the side light goes on. I’ve tried a Capri relay but it never worked.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Mk3 headlamps

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The Cortina relay has wiring that is different than the Capri item. As you say, it switches off the dipped beam when main beam is switched on.
Swapping over to a Capri relay should fix the problem.
Was the Capri relay you tried known to be working? And were all 4 fuses in it OK?

Andrew.
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi thanks I did try the relay before i swaped it over and it was working on the Capri. Forgot to say that The cortina had single lights before I changed them.would the light stalk connections be different on a cortina.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Rosco59 wrote:Forgot to say that The cortina had single lights before I changed them.would the light stalk connections be different on a cortina.
Hi,
On single units, it's usually normal for the dipped lights to go out when the mains come on.
I would check for voltage on the dipped beam live feed into the relay. If you lose that voltage when the mains are switched on, then the wiring needs to be altered to maintain a constant live. It could also be the stalk, as you say.

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Later MK2 and MK3 stalks are the same. It could be the relay on the bulkhead, MK2 ones were different.
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi thanks for the reply’s how do I going about changing the wiring as full beam definitely cancels out the dipped on the outer light.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

You would probably need both wiring diagrams from the capri and Cortina.
Rosco59

Post by Rosco59 »

Hi does anyone know where I can buy terminal connector that plugs into the light relay. Thanks
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

As an alternative to a relay base you can just use insulated type lucar terminals, crimped on. I always finish them off with a bit of heat shrink tubing.