Boot wont shut

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Boot wont shut

Post by Arya2.0S »

Can anyone clue me in on why my boot doesn't like to shut?
I usually have to slam the bloody thing 3 or 4 times before it shuts, i can almost predict with 95% accuracy when it will shut, almost always on the 3rd slam.
Its been like this ever since ive had the car, but after 5 years its getting a bit tiresome. I have tried adjusting the latch multiple times, i have oiled the lock itself, even tried adjusting it a little bit, no configuration works, and sometimes im afraid to slam it too hard for fear of smashing the back window.
Can anyone shed some light on this, as its beginning to get embarrassing whem im out putting the shopping in the boot in a crowded car park (in this freezing weather) and i have to slam the bloody thing multiple times before it shuts, with my anxiety levels increasing lately i could really do without bringing unwanted attention to myself just because i need to shut the boot!
Thanks.
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Re: Boot wont shut

Post by tazla »

Hi. when i put my car back together after a resto.mine was the same.i lied down in the boot of the car with a torch and dropped the tailgate down slowly .you can see the lock meeting the catch and mine wasnt nowhere near lined up.opened the boot.adjusted it.after 3 attempts .apresto. worth a try.
tazla

Post by tazla »

Check from outside the gaps all around the tailgate.if the gap either side of the tailgate to body is different .then i would take the rubber seal off the boot.take the rear roof lining down a touch.to access the hinges.adjust them so the gaps the same.all round.and then adjust the lock and keeper
tazla

Post by tazla »

Oh and when the hatch is shut.does the bottom edge of the hatch match up withe the lines of the body work.if not .the hinges definately need adjusting first cheers mel
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Thanks guys, there's definitely a discrepancy in the panel gaps so looking like the hinges need an adjustment. I'll have to pull off a bit of headlining and have a butchers. How do you adjust the hinges?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I also have the same problem on one of mine, I found that it was the boot latch as well which kept spinning so doesn't shut unless lined up properly
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Mine used to behave just as you describe. I messed around with it but eventually I replaced the tailgate lock on the inside and that fixed it.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Arya2.0S wrote:Thanks guys, there's definitely a discrepancy in the panel gaps so looking like the hinges need an adjustment. I'll have to pull off a bit of headlining and have a butchers. How do you adjust the hinges?
You don't need to remove the headlining. There's some adjustment available by loosening the bolts where they go through the hinge arm an attach to the hatch.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Peter-S wrote:
Arya2.0S wrote:Thanks guys, there's definitely a discrepancy in the panel gaps so looking like the hinges need an adjustment. I'll have to pull off a bit of headlining and have a butchers. How do you adjust the hinges?
You don't need to remove the headlining. There's some adjustment available by loosening the bolts where they go through the hinge arm an attach to the hatch.
I've already done that when the car was resprayed last winter. No matter what we did the tailgate just would not line up properly when we bolted it back on, and there's been a dodgy gap ever since so it's looking like the hinges themselves need a good seeing to.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

pbar wrote:Mine used to behave just as you describe. I messed around with it but eventually I replaced the tailgate lock on the inside and that fixed it.
I've replaced the lock on inside as well, granted being an old part it could also be knackered but I'm more willing to bet on the tailgate itself being wonky due to the hinges at this point as none of the gaps line up.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

My laser tailgate sits proud of the rear wings by a couple of mm. It too is a pig to close. Going to wait until a mate of mine is around and then elongate the bolt holes a bit to get it to line up; can't see any other way of correcting it as all hinges and bolt holes are as far forward as they will go.
tazla

Post by tazla »

Theres more adjustment of the hinges behind headlining .wont hurt to try .i adjusted the ones you can get to.but it just wasnt enough
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

My staple ( the bit on the car ) was worn , there is a sort of roller and this had a groove in it , there was also wear on the latch hook . The hook needs to be a close fit on the staple roller or it gets real hard to adjust things so that the lid shuts firmly without slamming. If you adjust the staple up far enough that the lid shuts easily then it is a loose close , if you adjust so it firm when closed then you will have to slam it to get the staple far enough into the latch hook to allow it to both close easily AND latch closed firmly. I rebuilt both bits so that the recess in the latch hook is a real close fit over the staple roller
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Do as above; latch it all together so it looks a little bit loose, but before you do it, make sure the bolts holding the boot latch are half a turn loose.
Close the tailgate till it latches, then push down hard which will move the whole assembly down tighter.
Hold it down there and unlock it.
Lift the tailgate carefully, so as not to disturb the latch, then tighten it all up, making sure it doesn't move while you do it.
Hopefully it should then close firmly and hold tight.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Did this get fixed?
tazla

Post by tazla »

He,s still locked in the boot :banghead:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Lol, I haven't done anything to it because I haven't had the time, it's too cold to work outside, plus it's dark by 3:30 because this country is awful.
However, since posting about this the boot has been shutting more easily, sometimes on the first attempt and I haven't even done anything! Lol Old cars eh?
Come summer and actual sunlight I plan on getting under the headlining and adjusting the hinges from there as the panel lines are bugging me and I've literally done everything else.
I have a feeling this period of the thing shutting properly will be short lived though, but I'm still not bothering until things warm up because.... well f*#k the cold! :xd:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Sorry to hear you are having issues with closing your boot Arya. Sometimes it can be the most simple advice though from the least expected person that can help mate. Hope this helps...

https://youtu.be/gsEtaX207a4

:oops: ... :sorry:

I can get away with this cause its Christmas....cant I ? :shock:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Well that didn't last long. As with all good things in my life they never last, and now this heap of shite is back to being crap, if not worse than it was before. I've tried everything short of taking the headlining out and adjusting the hinges there, nothing else seems to work. Ugh.
I'm just not gonna use the boot and put stuff on the back seats instead. I'll wait until summer to tackle this again.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Arya2.0S wrote:Well that didn't last long. As with all good things in my life they never last, and now this heap of shite is back to being crap, if not worse than it was before. I've tried everything short of taking the headlining out and adjusting the hinges there, nothing else seems to work. Ugh.
I'm just not gonna use the boot and put stuff on the back seats instead. I'll wait until summer to tackle this again.
Glad it's not just me that does this! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.