Door speakers

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Door speakers

Post by Paul G »

Can anyone tell me what size are the original factory door speakers in a Laser? They're probably the same as 2.8i and other models factory fitted with door speakers.

Haven't got the door cards off at the minute but if they're as bad as the rear ones then I'm going to renew the lot. Not worried about fitting expensive high quality ones as I'm tone deaf anyway!
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Re: Door speakers

Post by Noel »

6x4.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Watch the width as there is not much room and the window will hit the rear of the speaker also cover the back to stop the water ...
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Thanks for the replies gents.

Has anyone used these before? They seem to be the ones with the shortest depth at 42 mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-Re ... SwrfVZSQMs
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Jasonmarie wrote:Watch the width as there is not much room and the window will hit the rear of the speaker also cover the back to stop the water ...
specially important as a deep fitting speaker is very close to the window glass when wound down ( if it aint actually touching ) and anyone being a bit enthusiastic about shutting the door can result in a shattered glass as it hits the back of the speaker magnet
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi there,

Don't touch those Mac Audio things if you want to use the original door fittings and covers!!! You might as well set fire to the £5 notes in your wallet and throw them away before you get any warmth off them!!!! They are ok if your going to use an extender with a different cover, but as has been said, they are just TOO deep and that is without mentioning the Tweeter sits proud of the Frame and stops you from clipping the original cover on!!!

ImageCrap 1 by John Taylor, on Flickr
Possibly the cost stopped me from returning these ones when I found out how bad they where???
ImageCrap 4 by John Taylor, on Flickr

These ones are MUCH better....

ImageCorrect by John Taylor, on Flickr

They do cost a LOT more, but worth it to keep the car original, IF that's what you want... Well, no silly holes cut in the door covers etc!!!

ImageCorrect 1 by John Taylor, on Flickr

And the bit you want???

ImageCorrect 2 by John Taylor, on Flickr

I will admit, I did not source these, 'Fordoholic Nick' found them!!! Great find too.... Thanks again Nick...

http://beckerautosound.com/porsche-euro ... rs/3127144

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-94 ... 2357104543

Not exactly the car you would expect to find them in either!!! :o :o :o

Anyhow, as I say, very expensive, but great to keep the originality and it's nearly Christmas!!!! Hint to them for a Christmas present!!! Best of luck what ever you do, all the very best for now, cheers,

John...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

A great find from Nick and John there.
The price for the speakers themselves isn't bad but the postage cost is a bit of a killer. Can anybody find a link for these speakers in the UK?

Andrew.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Thanks John and Andrew for your replies. I will get one of the original speakers out and measure the depth of it. Nice as they are I'm afraid I can't justify spending too much as I just don't use the radio or cd very often, I'm not someone who likes music on all the time. I'm sure there are some out there that will fit the car and my budget somewhere!

Cheers Paul.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hey Paul,

I see your only down the road from me. I can drop off these Mac ones for you to play with if you want fella. Early Christmas present for you.... They will fit if you use some extension rings and grills... Cheers,

John...
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Taff50ish wrote:Hey Paul,

I see your only down the road from me. I can drop off these Mac ones for you to play with if you want fella. Early Christmas present for you.... They will fit if you use some extension rings and grills... Cheers,

John...
That's a very kind offer John but I think I'm going to go with these. My kind of budget for the Laser and only 30mm thick.

http://cpc.farnell.com/visaton/fr9-15-4 ... dp/LS04224

You're still welcome to pop down if you want but my car's still a heap compared to yours!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've just replaced my rear speakers as they were bloody dreadful, with these from halfrauds... Tenner each and seem to be OK!

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car- ... nt-speaker

Cheers
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Mine is on its' original rear speakers which are dreadful. Did the new 4" units make much of a difference and did you need to change the way they were fitted under the small shelves ?
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Hi Notanumber, I've only ordered the speakers today so don't yet know. I think 4" speakers should easily screw into the bracket under the shelf in the same way as the OE ones.

Will repost when I get them.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Not_Anumber wrote:Mine is on its' original rear speakers which are dreadful. Did the new 4" units make much of a difference and did you need to change the way they were fitted under the small shelves ?
ImageSpeaker by Danny Hassall

You just need to cut off two of the four 'thingies' at the side that the screw goes through so it fits under the speaker shelf still, but that's pretty easy and yes they sound much better! At least it doesn't sound like I'm underwater anymore

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thats great to know. A pair of 4" speakers arrived today from Amazon. Just got to wait for the rain to stop now.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:the four 'thingies'
Lugs?

Danny, thanks for the heads up. I might buy myself a pair for the back.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote:the four 'thingies'
Lugs?

Danny, thanks for the heads up. I might buy myself a pair for the back.

Andrew.
Yes, lugs seems to be a much better word than thingies :lol:
I just happened to be in Halfords anyway buying some paints and wires and walked past it, went back out to the car, grabbed the speaker and lined it up, looked about the same and was... figured for a tenner it was worth a punt! Certainly better than the originals which were all burst and ripped haha

Not that I tend to be able to hear the radio at all in my car with "that exhaust" let alone the rear speakers :lol:

Danny
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

What is the general thinking about keeping or losing the original front to rear fader ? In mine the fader is in place and being fed by the front channel of my ( non original) stereo.

Because the original rear speakers were so awful I just kept the fader set to front only but now with the replacement rears going in I'm wondering about bypassing the original fader and just running the separate front and rear outputs directly to the speakers. This would leave the original front/ rear fader as redundant but i'd just leave it where it is.

Is this the way that most Capri owners with later stereos tend to work around it ?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I still do the same thing of having the fader set all the way to the front (unless I get passengers in the back seats which is a rarity) otherwise the new radio has to be cranked up to a ridiculous volume of around 40 odd or more when its evenly split between front and rear.

I just left it in place to save fiddling with the wiring really and it makes not difference having it in place or not really
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Seems a long time ago when I had 9x6 speakers cut into my old parcel shelf ! The old rears were still there but pretty much buggered to damnation and not connected ! I had no speakers behind the original grills in the front door cards and a really shite Audoline unit that never worked properly. So my audio set up was not great at all !!

Now and as a few of you chaps know with the superb help from John I now have a great set up. Replacement parcel shelf with no 9x6 speakers ! Modern 4x4 rear speakers that just fitted underneath the shelf bracket like for like, and some original 30+yr old speakers in the doors. I got these from Martin and was amazed at the condition of them !John wired in the radio and fader switch so all works great. At the time I took a video and sint a bad sound at all....especially the front speakers ! Has a decent sound. Heres a sample of a Pogues track.... :)

https://www.flickr.com/gp/133744771@N07/1hhJHM
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...