2.8i Special bits

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
ssornai
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special 1986

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6

2.8i Special bits

Post by ssornai »

Hey everyone,

Still fairly new here, only my second post..
I’ve finally got my hands on my dream car, this stunning 1986 2.8 injection special.

ImageIMG_8211 by Ford Capri, on Flickr

It’s in great condition but I’m looking to give it a good once over and replace any consumables so looking for some definitive advice as to what’s the best stuff to get!

1. Oil

I know there’s been much debate on this from previous threads so not looking to start WW3 but if someone can point me towards the correct grade and brand for this machine I’d greatly appreciate it!

2. Spark Plugs

Any particular brand worth going for?

3. Air filter

Interested in getting the fancy K&N air filter, is it a straight swap for the original?

4. Coolant

Any brand/type worth recommending?

5. Battery

Don’t think it needs imminent replacing but probably will eventually. Anybody recommend any particular brand?

6. Center caps for these beauties

ImageB1720BDA-5227-4264-9287-53B84E160F82 by Ford Capri, on Flickr

I think they’re off a Brooklands, they look great when fitted but the center caps are cracked inside, I gather they ain’t easy to replace? :shock:

Thanks in advance o wise ones :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: 2.8i Special bits

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I can't claim to be an "o wise one", but I can tell you the products I use.
1. I've started using Valvoline Racing VR1. It was highly recommended by users of this forum. Whatever brand you use, the common consensus is that 20W50 is the correct grade for the 2.8.
2. I use Champion RN7YC.
4. No particular recommendations here, but a good tip from Fordoholic Nick is that if you live in a hard water area, you can mix the concentrated coolant with ionised water instead of tap water.
5. In case you didn't know, the correct type battery is an 097. I bought a Numax one last year and have experienced no issues.

I hope that helps,

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Why don't you just fit a K&N panel air filter to your existing box? Will give better breathing whilst keeping the car standard looking. Plus they only need a clean once in a blue moon rather than replacing every service.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K-N-Air-Pane ... SwKytZH~i-
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Really lovely car.

I will add a +1 for the K&N filter. Don't bother with the K&N "57i" induction kits. Just put the direct replacement type panel filter in the original air intake box. £50 well spent. Mines done 20 years and counting, with the occasional brush out and squirt of oil.

NGK plugs and normal blue antifreeze. Batteries are all much of a muchness but try and get the proper one with the square terminals - motor factors will always be able to get them better than Halfords can - although Halfords batteries are fine as they come with as good a guarantee as anyone elses and they honour them without quibble.

Noel.
ssornai

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6

Post by ssornai »

Thanks for the input guys.

That’s exactly the air filter I was looking at, no interest in any fancy non standard kits. Nice to hear it’s worth the money 8-)

About the battery, excuse the inexperience but what’s the benefit of square battery terminals? And what would be the best thing to fit to easily disconnect the battery when parked up for a while?
This is my first classic car so lots to learn :burnout:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

ssornai wrote:excuse the inexperience but what’s the benefit of square battery terminals?
The original battery fitted would have been an 097 with square terminals. I see that you currently have convertors fitted to enable a round post battery to be used. That's no problem as the convertors simply unbolt from the original connectors.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Picture of an 097 for sale on ebay. It shows the square terminals which all Fords up to about 1990 had. It just is more original for the car.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pline-097-12 ... Sw5cNYTpGP
ssornai

Jaguar XF 3.0 V6

Post by ssornai »

Looks like my car has the round terminals then with!

Another one for the eventual shopping list!
:ebay: