Leaky carb

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
SpikeCapri
Car(s): Ford Capri X-Pack 1987

Leaky carb

Post by SpikeCapri »

Recently I have noticed a strong smell of petrol when driving. Had a look around under the bonnet and my carb is leaking, I believe it is from the throttle shafts at the rear of the carb. Would a carb repair kit have the relevant seals to stop the leak?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Leaky carb

Post by Paul G »

It shouldn't be leaking at the throttle spindles as by the time the mixture gets down that far it will be sucked into the manifold. More likely is that your needle valve in the float chamber is suspect or the float height incorrect. Your Haynes manual will show you how to fix that. Renew the top gasket as well.

Worn throttle spindles or bushes will cause excess air to be sucked in causing weak mixture and bad running. New throttle spindles and bushes or a roller bearing conversion are available from Webcon to fix this problem.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Leaky carb

Post by Mc Tool »

bushes can be made from thin wall brass tubing , available from model shops . Happily one size is perfect ID for the shaft and a drill bit can be used as a reamer ( set up in drill press , take drive belt off and turn spindle by hand ) and the new "bush" loctited in
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh